Find
Notify
Tools

Who shoots a 28 for upland?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of guys here shooting 28's on driven birds and claiming they kill just as well as the bigger guns, (bragging rights on their shooting capability...Wink )

When you look closer they are shooting 12gauge loads down a 28gauge tube...

Personally I like the little guns but you need to use them in the right place. Shooting walked up pheasants I would refrain somewhat but if I can get under a bird and shoot it straight on then it does the job.

Tighter chokes help with the patterning if you are shooting normal loads for the gun and longer barrels also will make it a more stable proposition.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You will LOVE your new semi-auto! If you are a reasonably able wing shot, you will enjoy shooting it.
I have been shooting them for over 50 yrs. now and don't intend to stop. If you practice on the Skeet field you will be ready for wild birds.
As was suggested earlier, the B&P ammo w/ nickel plated shot does well on pheasant size birds. Normal 3/4 oz. loads work fine Aldo, OR you can load your own cheaply. Enjoy...!
All the best,
Wes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only shoot target loads in any shotgun then adjust the shot size. If you shoot a load of 1 1/8th oz 7 1/2's from your 12ga at 1200fps and 3/4oz of the same shot at the same velocity from your 28, the only difference will be the pattern density at different ranges!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I'm coming into this kind of late but thought I'd share my thoughts and experience. I hunted with a 28 for five years before we moved to Alaska. I hunted over a close working French Brittany female and shot primarily 3/4 ounce nickel 6 reloads. I tried the 7/8 and 1 ounce offerings from Federal and Winchester and they killed birds fine, but I didn't see a great advantage over the 3/4 ounce loads. But my shots were almost all close in because my dog worked close and held point really well. She would reposition to stop a running rooster. Sometimes. Once in a while she'd just reposition (chase) to the end of the cover and then come back with a devil may care grin on her face. She was such a good bird dog in all other respects that I could forgive her that occasional indiscretion.

I like 28 for ptarmigan and grouse and am looking for another one to replace my old Beretta. I foolishly sold it when I got distracted by side by sides and have regretted that decision mightily. I recently found a Beretta Blackwing in 20 gauge and am getting to be quite fond of it. I'll still keep looking for a Beretta 28 gauge but need to sell a couple doubles first.

I guess I wouldn't claim the 28 is the equal of the 20, 16 or 12 but in my situation with a close working pointing dog, the 28 didn't give up much, if any, to its larger brethren.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
For something different go to Presidio Texas about 4 hours East and South of El Paso..The railroad ships melons and dump the spoiled ones out on the ground, wear rubber boots and walk thru those melons and white wings and turtle dove fly up in clouds, you normally two or three per shot..Its different!! I guess its still there and easy to get permission to hunt on any of those farms..East of El Paso in the sand hills is fantastic quail country, just get about a mile or two out of the city limits..Its state land and hunting is allowed..Same in the upper valley...I bet its good around Almogordo. I know the deer hunting is..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41815 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill,the 28 G. is a sweet O/U or dbl for that matter.Connecticut Valley has some beautiful ones listed.I did a skeet shoot about 45 yrs ago + this clodhopper kid shows up with a Stevens single shot 410. He whipped ALL our asses. There is nothing wrong with the 28 but availability of shells.That is where the 12 + 20 shines. Any WalMart for $30.00 a case.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 28 (Browning 525 and 725) for most of my bird shooting (except for doves over a stock tank over decoys when I use my 410). With proper loads it will outperform any 20 gauge IMHO. This includes pigeons and doves in South America. I can shoot all day without a shoulder pad and do it again the next day. PM me if you want more info. Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, guys!

I must admit to my love for the 28 gauge shotgun! I've been shooting them since the 1970's for Skeet and bird hunting.

IF you can shoot and limit your shots to under 40 yds., in my opinion most would love them, if they tried them! In my older age, a 6 lb. shotgun carries nice for me, whether it be an O/U or a semi-auto. I like the 3/4 oz. load for most work, but do shoot a 15/16 oz. B&P load for pheasant. They do a fine job!

In closing, I love the gauge and always have. For our dove season to late pheasant in the snow, they are just a fun gun to shoot. When the gauge was invented, they knew what they were doing!

Brittman

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mart, a French brittany, eh? I have been looking at pups out of Matt Keller's kennel in Phoenix.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote