Find
Notify
Tools

Grouse
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
How are the Grouse populations looking in the northern states this year? Hoping to go come mid October.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be pretty good here in Minnesota. Not peak of the cycle, but getting very close.
P.M. if you want more detailed. Info.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Young: DNR annual survey results show same population as last year. Still at least 2 years from peak.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my area of Wis. the population is up.

Posts: 19350 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do miss grouse hunting in northern MN, but the amount of shooting I do in one day hunting quail in the desert is more than I would do in two seasons in MN.

For most folks, grouse season ended when the deer season started, but I liked strapping on snowshoes around Christmas time and looking for their tracks in the snow.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Always curious to the populations up north of here. In the worst years up north there are a lot more birds than the best years down here. I will probably head to Maine this fall.

I used to Grouse hunt a lot during deer season but there are so many deer hunters here I am afraid someone might shoot my dog. I like to deer hunt too but the season is just too long for deer here now. It has just about killed the small game hunter.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I will be in the woods of Northern Minnesota turkey hunting this weekend and will be listening for grouse too. Heard a few on the property this spring and am hoping they stuck around. Might have to go for a walk to see if I can flush one if the turkeys don't want to come out and play.

I was in the Boundary Waters last week and didn't see or hear any birds while in the bush but was able to sneak up close to this spruce grouse once we got back to the canoe launch on Snowbank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw three today got one along with some wood ducks lots of leaves yet on the trees

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Excellent Picture there Evan!

Congratulations p dog shooter!

Looks like my Grouse trip may be postponed. They are calling for alot of flooding here and all the way up north. Gonna hang around and see what happens.

God Bless, Louis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were plenty of ruffies running around up in Quebec last weekend.....they like to stay on the ground far longer than the ones further south....less ground predators me thinks.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent a year in the NW corner of MN. We use to head east to the edge of the prairie/woods after work. We would usually get 10-15 flushes in an hour or two. Bird numbers depended on our shooting abilities.

One of my most memorable hunts was late in the season. It warmed up to -10 with no wind so my buddy and I went out. The birds were snow roosted. The dog worked great. It was a blast having birds flush from under the snow. We had enough clothes on the birds were never really in danger of being shot. It was a nice diversion from ice fishing.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Thanks youngoutdoors! I didn't see any turkeys on Saturday but did end up flushing five grouse on the property. Didn't shoot at any (managed to remember I had the turkey choke in) but I will be back at them in a couple of weeks. Most of the leaves were still up but that should be changing imminently.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Beautifull bird ,i need to hunt again in America pretty soon ,you have so marvelous birds .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the leaves were still up but that should be changing imminently.

They are coming off late this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw 12 ruffs in one day elk hunting. My mule pointed them out as we went up the trail. Now if I can just get hime to raise his leg !!

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just returned from the U. P. numbers down about 1/2 the flushes 2 years ago.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
We got one last weekend and so far that has been it for the year. Next time I'm at the property will be deer season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The dog looks happy

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I wish I enjoyed hunting just half as much as he does every time we go out.

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
I will be in the woods of Northern Minnesota turkey hunting this weekend and will be listening for grouse too. Heard a few on the property this spring and am hoping they stuck around. Might have to go for a walk to see if I can flush one if the turkeys don't want to come out and play.

I was in the Boundary Waters last week and didn't see or hear any birds while in the bush but was able to sneak up close to this spruce grouse once we got back to the canoe launch on Snowbank.

Gorgeous bird.

Posts: 2923 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What camera was use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen more ruffs since Jan 1 than all year long....of course because the season ended 12/31! Coulda shot have a dozen meatballs this past Saturday alone.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
What camera was use?

Canon S110. It's been a nice little pocket camera, although the automatic lense covers like to malfunction now.

quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
I've seen more ruffs since Jan 1 than all year long....of course because the season ended 12/31! Coulda shot have a dozen meatballs this past Saturday alone.

Isn't that how it always works??

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great shot. My Brittany, Buddy, had his 5th season this year. He is a great dog. First half of the year, birds didn't co-operate. Flushed early, flushed on the wrong side of the tree. Second half, after deer season, we made up for it. We had warmer than usual temps and no snow. Hunting was good. Still flushing now and then on our place but the season is over.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote