New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woody's First Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is the heart of the hunting seasons for most folks here. It was the start of Woody's. He had a good time on his first hunt and was a bit overwhelmed by the big birds at first. He is coming around now, and next hunt will be chuckar, a less intimidating bird.

By the third ring-neck Woody figured we were there to hunt and kill them. It started to be FUN! I had to take the photos and keep Woody from grabbing the birds, so excuse the poor quality photos. He is almost 9 months old and is still a puppy between the ears.

He just heard another rooster cackling!

Wood wants a mouthful of the big bird.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Good looking young dog !

Happy days !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2256 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Just got an ES myself week before thanksgiving. Christmas birds for Christmas time!

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Omigosh, what a beautiful boy! Congratulations, and may you both have many, many memorable seasons together in the uplands. Feel free to post all the photos you want, luv2, as some of us can never get enough.

dancing

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Which breed of Setter is he?

Great times and memories!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's a Llewellin setter. I got my first one in 1999 and love the breed. They are great family dogs that hunt.

This was my first, Ms Scarlet. She was that once-in-a-lifetime dog and best friend.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Rocky died two weeks ago at 15. He was a tank of a dog, but he was loving to a fault. He was Ms Scarlet's son.That little odd-girl-out behind him is my sweet Rosie, a WPG.

Darned...sand in my eyes right now...

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thought it looked like a Llewellin. That is my all time favorite breed for a bird dog too. Had to put mine down in August and I am bout ready for another.

Great pics and memories.
God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might have an accident litter. Old Jenny, Scarlet's granddaughter, and Woody got together 10 or so days ago...that horndog! I didn't know he had it in him. Big Grin

There's one with your name on it, but it won't have papers. I have Woody's and Scarlet's is all and don't register them. It's never made their noses any better.

Jenny-Penny before she lost her right eye. I loved her "bedroom eyes".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been giving thought to my next dog....GWP is 11 next month but hunts like she's half that age. I may give a Llewelyn some thought. Nice looking dogs man!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a LOT of history with griffons. Here's proof. Wink The GWP is so much like them.

Now it's falling upon the grandson to carry on...little Rosie...

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
It doesn't get any better that Bruce. Kids & Bird dogs------Makes life worth living. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jenny's getting lazy and plumper, Bob. Are you ready for a "blessed event"?

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas, Bruce. Looks like you gave a proper name to "Woody". Jean is already thinking about names.

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote