Notify
Tools

Gambel's quail
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted
Gambel's quail (Callipepla gambelii)
Named in honor of William Gambel a 19th-century explorer and naturalist of the Southwestern United States.

Outfitter/Guide: Self
Method: Walk 'em up

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge
2 3/4" shot shells, 3 3/4 dram equivalent, 1 1/4 ounce of number 7 1/2 lead

------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2926 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous country man! I enjoyed the hell outta the place a few years back hunting javelina and quail. Nice work.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Nice photos. Great looking food!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norton, I think I remember reading your report.
Didn't you hunt on the S.C.A.R. ?

Dukxdog happy you enjoyed the pics.
The grilled snow goose/jalapeño brats and apple stuffed, bacon-wrapped, quail turned out just right. Smiler

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
great hunt beautifull birds and enviroment .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great write-up! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool pics! Love that jeep.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
Norton, I think I remember reading your report.
Didn't you hunt on the S.C.A.R. ?

Yessir Ty.....hunted SCAR in 2010. Good memory!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you fellas enjoyed the pics.

The country and the birds here are very photogenic. That makes things easy for me. Smiler

Norton, I live literally right down the road from the Rez. boundary. I remember your report for a couple reasons. First, it was a great report, very entertaining. Second, it stood out to me because it's not too often I read about hunts done around here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
good job all round

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A classic Southwest sporting adventure. A wonderful bird to hunt and bring to the table. A true challenge for any shotgunner. We so often overlook these opportunities.

Think of it....a modest camp in the desert during the cooler months with good friends and a wonderful fire at night. Or perhaps a comfortable motel and a nearby diner offering a good breakfast and a hearty evening meal.

Either way......

As a 10 year old I cut my teeth with guns and game on just such a hunt.

I live in Williamson Valley about 15 miles north of Prescott, in North Central Arizona. These birds are abundant throughout the region, but yet very hard to find and hunt on public ground on a truly sporting basis.

Congrats on what I'm sure was a wonderful experience and thanks for sharing.

Best to you all............TWL.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great description TWL Thank you!

It appears to me our roots are grounded in similar traditions.

You sparked some good memories for me.

Much appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Great pics and looks like a fun time was had. Kudos and thanks for the report!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Sure makes me homesick. All my Gambles Quail hunting was farther south, years ago, but the country looks much the same. Miss it.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What no dog ! When's dinner they look delicious !! Neat country.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, no dogs. I spend too much time picking the cactus out of them here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just saw this. I love hunting desert quail. I need to get down to Arizona next bird season. I have friends that go down each year from here in Vegas. tu2

posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. I would definitely like to make such a hunt.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I have ever heard about Gambel's and blues is that they will ruin a good quail dog because the birds don't hold and flush, they run.

I know that is true about blues because I have hunted them in West TX (back when was a bit younger) but have never had the chance to hunt Gambel's. (We chased the blues til they finally flushed, and yes, we skillet shot some of them as well...)

Regardless, wonderful pictures and what looks like a fabulous day in God's back yard!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm really pleased you all have enjoyed this report.

My 2015 new years resolution was to "Enjoy the little things." That decision was one of my best ever. So much so, that I've decided to carry it forward to 2016.

Doubless, yes these little suckers can boogie. We refer to them as having their Reebok's on. When that happens, it can be a looooong day.
Other days, they will hold so close you'll have to step on them to flush without a dog.

I can hardly wait until October for the season to open back up. Smiler

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ty, I just spotted this thread. Thanks for posting. I'm moving to New Mexico this fall and look forward to desert quail hunts. Did you broil those birds?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos. Love hunting Arizona quail hunting. Should be a decent year with last years rain.
lb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill congrats on the move. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the new climes and adventures in the Southwest. Cool

The birds, I gingerly pluck the whole bird leaving as much of the skin as I can intact.
If you can't save the skin it's not a deal breaker.
After washing and pat drying, I put a slice of apple in the cavity (along with the heart and gizzard), then wrap with bacon and pin with toothpicks.
I arrange them in a disposable aluminum pie tin (or 2 depending on the quality of the tin) and place them directly on the outdoor propane grill till done.

Okay, now please forgive me if I go off on a bit of a tangent...

When passing by this forum (Bird Shooting) I was surprised to see this report back at the top. While re-reading it I got a lump in my throat when I got to Doubless' (Scot's) post.
As you may, or, may not know we all lost Scot just a short time ago.
I sure miss his contributions here, his sage advice, and wit.
Which brings me to my point. It just reinforces my thoughts on enjoying the little things.
Stopping to smell the roses, if you will.
Life is fleeting.

Now on a much more upbeat note, quail season is just a few short weeks away here. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ty, I agree that we lost a real mensch when we lost Scot. Life is indeed ephemeral.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your supposed to put a Jalapeno inside then wrap with bacon!! I ate 13 at one sitting as a teenager..Next day I was screaming come on ice cream!! and afraid to bend over and tie my shoes! Good idea to eat 12 without the Jalapeno!! old Our desert quail were "Blues" or at least that's what we called them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read the above posts about scott, I did not know, Late prayers are never too late.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice story.. Haven’t shot quail for quite a few years.. My headquarters was Wilcox.. Used to be lots of birds.. Not many the last time I tried..

Posts: 12 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ty: I'll qualify for a resident bird license here in a couple of weeks, and quail seasons are open in New Mexico until Feb. 15. No dog, so it will be just the old guy stumbling among the cactus with a 28-gauge gas gun. We shall see!

– John Green, author

posted Hide Post
Well, Bill, how is the quail hunting.. We are thinking of a short trip to SW NM in Jan. to hunt some quail, get warm and exercise the dogs...

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WyoCoyoteHunter:
Well, Bill, how is the quail hunting.. We are thinking of a short trip to SW NM in Jan. to hunt some quail, get warm and exercise the dogs...

Typical of most years - pockets of decent populations where summer rains were good surrounded by areas where you're better off chasing jackrabbits. If you're going to be out and about already, hitting that SW area of the state would likely net you a few good coveys. Your encounters with Gambel's are likely to be pretty infrequent though. Should be decent amounts of scalies.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey, thank you.. Hunting birds or jacks would be fun.. Nice to be in a warmer spot.. Many thanks..

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My boy got one behind the house last night. Brno Mod2

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote