Find
Notify
Tools

Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Anyone have any information on 2&7/8ths. or 3&1/2 inch ten gauge shells loaded with steel shot for waterfowl?

I can find the 3&1/2 ich shells, but not loaded with size 4 or 6 steel shot.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may be on your own here. Before I gave up on steel and switched to bismuth or tungsten polymer I had experimented with most sizes of steel and finally settled on #1 or B size for ducks. You can buy #4 or #6 steel for reloading. It looks like #4 is about the smallest factory 10 ga. ammo I can find.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looks like #4 is about the smallest factory 10 ga. ammo I can find.

Who makes that? Number 4 shot is great, I just want something smaller than Number 2 or BB or larger.

I used to load for my 10 gauge, but that was before the use of leaed was bannerd for waterfowl.

I have not shot my 10 in 3 years or so and would like to take it out a few more times.

I used to have fun with the various 10's I have owned, because I would use them to hunt Mourning Doves and folks really lose their sense of humor real fast, when some ass hole sends a 2 ounce load of 7&1/2 lead shot at a dove and the bird is still 40 yards or so away.

Never did pattern that gun but if a bird was within the 40 to 45 yard range it never made it in close enough for the guys I was hunting with to get off a shot.

They would get all pissy and whine until I moved to anothert location.

If you can post the info where I might be able to get some iomn number 4 steel shot I will be eternally grateful.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hevi Metal shows an all-steel load with #4 shot. Not sure where you can find them, just have to look around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Mack’s Prairie Wings in Stuttgart Arkansas. They are one of the largest volume sellers of steel loads in the U.S.

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that information.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Randle,I sold a buddy of mine a win. 1887 in 10G. a couple of years ago with a case of 3 1'2 " shells that I bought from someone here on AR. Problem is his 1887 takes the 2 7/8" shells which I have not been able to find.I'd love to buy him some shells as I hate to have sold him a gun he can't shoot. Also he has no need for those 3 1/2" shells. I'll put you in touch with him if you like.P.M. me for a phone #,he does'nt do computers. Best,Randy

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote