THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Best Shotgun Shells for Pheasant
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Shotgun Shells for Pheasant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
killed alot of them with 7 1/2 international pigeon loads

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all upland game including pheasant, 1.125 oz number 6 shot killed 'em dead. I believe Remington used to market them as Sure Shot.

My dad used to load baby magnums for ducks, but I couldn't tell the difference between baby magnums and 1.125 oz loads as long as shots were on the mark.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been fortunate to both walk up shoot pheasants and stand on a peg at some of the UK's premier shoots and 1 1/4 ounce of Eley V.I.P fibre wad at 1360fps has done me sterling service for decades. The same load killed a hill of geese before the wetlands lead shot ban. I bulk bought the Eleys and they were the only thing used in my half and three quarter choked 28'' barrel Beretta Silver Pigeon for anything from snipe to greylags. Whenever someone tried to tell me 6's didn't kill geese/duck/pheasant at distance I'd always ask them to stand at 45 yards and let me tickle them with my puny shot. To date no-one has let me give it a go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is little sense in using non-tox for pheasants unless required.

I usually shoot a light (2-1/2") twelve or a sixteen for pheasants. I use one ounce of #7 or #6 shot at 1160fps, through IC/LM chokes (1/4 and 1/2) in the Brit twelve gauge. This works well on pointed birds.

The large shot/heavy load cartridges are mostly blast and recoil, but not more effective. Just center your bird in the pattern.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
Steel 3's and 4's

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 4s but I REALLY don't like using steel shot.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot about 200 preserve pheasants a year. I have used 12, 16 and 20ga, all with an ounce of 5s. I had RST load one ounce of 5s in 28ga and can’t tell the difference. 4s will kill longer but regs limit us to 5s or smaller. I shoot chukars with 7.5s.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have pheasant in my yard and pasture. I use #6 high base whatever on my wild birds in my superposed mod/IMP cyl. It does the job as good as anything else...I had a Full/mod an it didn't work as well,,I think most folks do better with a bit more open choke on everything with the exception of geese and probably ducks..I do anyway.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An ounce of 5's at 1200 fps in any gauge does fine for me. I prefer 16 and 28ga.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
We have developed lead load, 3 1/2", with no "shot protector", just with FS 12 12ga Flex-Seal Wad ( https://www.ballisticproducts....productinfo/072FS12/ ). It was developed for friend's Benelli SBE2 for turkey hunting. Using clear 12ga Clear Overshot Disk ( https://www.ballisticproducts....roductinfo/COS12250/ ) and roll crimp. It is full of 2 1/2 oz lead #4. Intended to shoot with Muller UFO choke at extended distances on turkeys.

But he is using it also with great result on pheasants with open choke.

Another friends, used to clay shooting a lot, they used sporting shells for duck and pheasants hunting (lead allowed). They are used to its speed and gun behavior.

I don't hesitate to take sporting "SUPER PARCOURS", 1 oz of 2.5 mm lead shot, 450 m/s (1475 fps).

Why I wrote that? Just take anything what is working for you.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote