New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Bobwhite Hunt in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone got some ideas? I have been hearing that the population's are up a bit. Would like to go after the first of the year.

thank you
Gale Johnson

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I think in some areas they did have some decvent production but up in our area, we saw lots of singles and pairs in the spring and early summer, but I never saw a single young bird during that time.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We booked with First Shot Outfitters of Coleman,TX. Anyone have any experience with them?

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I haven't. We are booked for November 21, 22 and 23 in Uvalde with 501 Ranch. Let's compare notes after our hunts. Bird counts are up, but just back to average populations. However in the right areas that can still be great shooting.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are hunting Jan 13, 14, and 15
I can't wait, I have been wanting to go on a real bobwhite hunt for a long time. It has been 20 years since I spent some time chasing them. Mike from First Shot said it looks to be a good year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are headed to DSC after the bird hunt, kinda geared up about that also!

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
the quail population is up from years past... I've been seeing several covies of blues on a ranch where I operate several gas compressors.... sadly, because of the oil leases, hunting is closed... but the bird population is on the rise....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Gale,
Talked to the ranch manager at the 501 and he said they are averaging eight coveys in a 4 hour hunt, so 16 covey days. Not bad. Great is 20 coveys per day by comparison.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow... lots of birds on the 501 Ranch just south of Uvalde. We were raising 10 to 12 coveys per 3 to 4 hour hunt! Weather was on the warm side so dogs wore down quickly but the shooting was hotter than the temps! Looks like the best year we have had in the last 6 or 7!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good news, I am ready to go, now I need to decide what gun to take?
What chokes would you put in the O/U?
Most likely take a 28 and a 20

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Improved and modified if it were me. On pen raised I use skeet and skeet but these birds were much more sporty and hard flying!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that what i have in all my guns is IC/Mod

What size shot do you use?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
7 1/2 or 8's...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 coveys for 3 days of hunting, 18 the first day and 11 for both days after that. We had a good time but spent a lot of time driving to and from hunting area south of Ballinger and then back to town for lunch. Never saw the lodge in the daylight till the morning we left.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
13 covey days on average... not bad compared to the last few drought-stricken years. I would point you to 501 Ranches website.

- Rudyard Kipling