THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Hunting WILD pheasants...is there a place in the USA?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting WILD pheasants...is there a place in the USA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a good place to book a WILD pheasant hunt in the USA? I don't want to shoot planted birds. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might have...AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The west is loaded with what you seek. Start with MT, ND, SD, WY, etc. No need to book anything but a motel room.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Is there a good place to book a WILD pheasant hunt in the USA? I don't want to shoot planted birds. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might have...AIU

I'm supposed to head for Williston ND in a week, the pheasant hunting is supposed to be quite good again this year. I'll be hunting with a friend so for me there's no booking to do. It seems to me there should be some sort of guide services available thruout North and South Dakota that would be on wild birds.

I've never been to Devils Lake, ND but apparently the waterfowl hunting there is very good, there are guide services around there offering waterfowl hunts, should be some good pheasant hunting opportunities?

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
AIU, where are you located? If you are able to cross the U.S. border you will have the best pheasant hunting in your life just south of California in the Mexicali valley. Outfitters will meet you at the border and take care of everything or you can be a "free" hunter without an outfitter like some of us in the Southwest. Very good, safe and very easy. Good luck, Harry

Posts: 16 | Location: Bonita, California | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Norton... don't forget Kansas! Lots of wild birds. Really, really wild birds in late season and open WMA ground to hunt as well!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kansas is on my list bwanamrm.....deer, turkey and now pheasants!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holson:
AIU, where are you located? If you are able to cross the U.S. border you will have the best pheasant hunting in your life just south of California in the Mexicali valley. Outfitters will meet you at the border and take care of everything or you can be a "free" hunter without an outfitter like some of us in the Southwest. Very good, safe and very easy. Good luck, Harry

I am in the Southwest. Thanks for the tip. Who do you recommend? Regards, AIU

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Come to Kansas. Stop in most c-stores or sporting goods stores and pick up a free Kansas Hunting Atlas. This is a detailed 60 page or so book of Kansas maps, starting in the NW and ending in the SE part of the state. It details all the WIHA (Walk In Hunting Areas)in the state and has a glossary of what game is most likely to be found in these areas. Then simply drive to the areas and hunt to your hearts content. No muss, no fuss, no fees, no worry about trespass.
I live in the center of the state and drive by many of these areas. I have seldom seen any hunters hunting these great areas.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use Alex Corria at Huntersonly@hotmail.com. He is a great outfitter used by many of my friends. I use his services for my hunting license and gun permit but hunt alone or with friends. He lives in Mexicali, speaks english and understands what you require. You won't be disappointed. Let me know how I can help. Harry

Posts: 16 | Location: Bonita, California | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harry, I do appreciate your help!!! AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone who gave advice. I appreciate it, and hopefully I'll bag a few pheasants. Warm regards, AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Kansas I'd study this first - http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Hunti...Upland-Bird-Forecast

It's always helpful. And we're definitely talking wild birds. You can jump good numbers of quail at the same time. One or more retrievers are highly recommended.

The two places out there where I had the most luck in the past were Salina in the north central and Sublette out west.

There's also Nebraska. If the hunting was slow in KS, some of us went on up there. Grand Island is known for it. I'd research it first though. They've had droughts out there that may affect things.

There's also Iowa. Many today don't know it, but that state was at one time where everyone went for pheasants. I would stick to the northwest area there. Spirit Lake is where I've had success.

All of these make fun trips, for the birds and for just a general good time.

It's a special treat being in a pheasant town on opening morning. Reminds me a lot of what some Arkansas towns are like the morning duck season opens...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Kansas I like the area out around Great Bend but there are litteraly hundreds of other good places.

All you need is a dog, a couple of buddies and an OTC listene.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote