New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Argentina rules
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Apparently , the rules have just changed . The permits can now be obtained through the mail rather than having to visit the consulate. This came in an e mail from the Hunting Report.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Argentina Improves Gun Import Process for Sportsmen - Consular Permits Now Obtainable by Mail

Taking firearms to Argentina for hunting is a little less troublesome now. Hunters can now have the required consular permit authorized by mail without having to visit a consulate in person. We learned of this from CATCYC (Cámara Argentina de Turismo Cinegético y Conservacionismo), Argentina’s national outfitter association, which announced the news at their annual national meeting in Buenos Aires in early May.

Says CATCYC’s Veronica Perea, “Starting May 1, 2016, hunting tourists are able to manage the consular permits by post. Hunters may find the form required on the Argentine General Consulate’s website at http://catla.cancilleria.gob.ar/node/2779, along with instructions for securing the permit from one of the Argentine consulates in the US. We are still working to make the documentation required the same for every consulate.”

Perea also informed us that CATCYC now has its own website, www.catcyc.org.ar, with an English version to go live soon.

The Hunting Report has closely followed recent developments in traveling with firearms to Argentina for big game and bird hunting, publishing several articles on the difficulties hunters have faced the past two seasons. See Article 3552 for our initial warning about the new regulations, plus Articles 3623 and 3633 for updated information. Of the many headaches involved, the worst was Argentina’s requirement that American hunters get a permit from a consulate in person prior to each trip. That required many hunters to travel to another state just to get a permit issued to them. The process is still complicated, unfortunately, and the permit form must be notarized before being mailed to the consulate.

First-time visitors taking guns to Argentina are apparently exempt from the requirement for a consular permit, although we strongly recommend that hunters confirm this with their nearest consulate before taking a gun to Argentina.

As Hunting Report readers know, a separate RENAR (Registro Nacional de Armas) form is still required for those bringing guns to Argentina. Outfitters are willing to help clients through these hurdles, but for the time being it may still be easier to borrow a rifle in Argentina. We hope that CATCYC will continue to make progress with the government to make taking guns to Argentina more

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are applying for a gun permit this week. We will see how it goes.

The only odd thing thus far is that they want some sort of notification from the state that the notary is in fact a notary. Go figure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just went through Buenos Aires both ways this past week. I was renting guns so I did not have any issues. But I did run into several US clients who were traveling with their own guns and took the time to visit with them.

Reports varied, both as to experience(s) with regional Argentine consulate offices in the US prior to departure from the US, as well as with the cops at EZE airport.

I think the only thing of value I can report at this time is to advise you all to make sure you have budgeted enough time upon arrival AND departure at EZE in order to accommodate any confusion or issues you may encounter with the cops when you pitch up with guns.

No one I spoke with had any real problems, but all reported significant time expenditures serving the process.

Nevertheless.....Argentina and Uruguay remain, in my view, the Mecca of wingshooting. Well worth any minor hassle. Any serious shotgunner needs to go there at least once. Or twice, or three times......

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
We are applying for a gun permit this week. We will see how it goes.

The only odd thing thus far is that they want some sort of notification from the state that the notary is in fact a notary. Go figure.

Would that be like a notary squared...?

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have an update on using this new process where you can request gun entry permits via mail? Have you done so and made the trip? Any issues?

I go in November and very much want to take my own gun.

Thanks.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the middle of it when the outfitter cancelled my hunt. Sorry, i can't help.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was in the middle of it when the outfitter cancelled my hunt. Sorry, i can't help.

Were you going to Santa Rita?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup

Good to know. Thanks.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote