THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Best eating wild duck and geese?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best eating wild duck and geese?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the best eating wild duck and geese?

Got any recipe to share?

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Young pink feet geese!!

Just superb.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
In North America it'd be the Canvasback for ducks and Specklebelly for geese.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Canvasbacks now taste horrible. In Maryland, which was the center of market hunting, the canvasback was the duck in most demand for the table. The wild celery that they fed on is now gone, and the canvasback eats mostly clams. If you enjoy the taste of rotten muddy clams, you will love canvasbacks.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ducks...Wood ducks are tops! Teal and Mallards are good.

Geese are fun to hunt and make good jerky..but Ive never had one I thought tasted "good"...I usually give them away to the jerky makers and the odd ball that claims to like em Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Canvasbacks now taste horrible. In Maryland, which was the center of market hunting, the canvasback was the duck in most demand for the table. The wild celery that they fed on is now gone, and the canvasback eats mostly clams. If you enjoy the taste of rotten muddy clams, you will love canvasbacks.

Terrible news.

I've never hunted Can's on the east coast and have admittedly not hunted then anywhere in 30 years or so.

As for the geese, Thanksgiving day I roasted a honker from ND in a covered roasting pan. Plucked of course, covered in bacon strips and stuffed quite full of traditional stuffing, I pulled the bird out when the thermometer read 155 degrees.

The bird was perfect! The breast had just a hint of pink in the center, plenty juicy and flavorful. I prefer the meat the next day, refrigerated cold, sliced as cold cuts with sweet hot mustard.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Old gees are a nightmare to roast but a youngster if still a bit pink is excellent. Especially if they have had a few weeks on the corn fields to fatten up!,

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll take wood duck over the rest.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I'll take wood duck over the rest.

Yes!.....the wood duck is by far and away the best tasting duck..at least here in the upper midwest.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mallards and teal, woodies good too. Divers are semi-palatable.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would vote for teal, although widget not are a close second. Young pinks after a good feed on fatties and stubbles also good.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the name for pinks so I can see a photo of them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What the name for pinks so I can look at a photo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brants from cold bay Alaska were best eating to me

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the ducks as long as they have light colored feet. Dark footed ones eat off the bottoms and taste terrible.

I can only vouch for Canada geese. The young ones are very good.

We like to breast them, grill them, baste them with bacon grease, garlic salt and course ground pepper. Don't over cook them. Geese are a little too thick so we butterfly them.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canadas are best braised unless you get young birds, which can be roasted.
The braised ones are complimentd by adding some fruit [I use dried ] , a bit tart like apple ,lemon, raisins .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Canadas are best braised unless you get young birds, which can be roasted.
The braised ones are complimentd by adding some fruit [I use dried ] , a bit tart like apple ,lemon, raisins .

Interesting...so do you cut up the birds and fry them in a pan first? I'm interested in trying this...directions and recipe if you could

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canvasback and Redheads off rice beds or celery are great, and still get them rarely here.

Personally, a teal or mallard off a grain field are universally good.

Geese, all are good as long as it's under a year old, I have never tasted anything good off the. Spring light goose season.

I don't get enough birds to make me look for anything other than roasting them. Just make sure they are not overdone...medium rare is about right.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If given an option, teal is always my pick.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gray Ducks (Gadwalls), pintails, and mallards would be my choices, not considering size, in that order.

AFA geese go, no doubt the specklebelly would be first, but I've had enormously good meals out of Canadas.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simple after hunt recipe (if you've got a lot of birds and are pushing the possession limit, as in parts of W. Canada, esp. Sask.), breast birds out (Canadas esp. because of size) and simply cook then in a iron, or any kind, skillet in about a stick or more of salted butter. Do not overcook, rare to v. rare is best. Put on plate, add salt and pepper to taste, and slice or let hunter's slice. Canada breasts done in this manner rival the best of steak as long as they are not overcooked. If you've got the time, make gravy out of pan juices. This is so simple I hesitate to post it, but not too many hunters know this quickie and it is very good. It also can be a main meal with accessory dishes.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
how do you know how old a duck or goose is or what they have been eating BEFORE YOU SHOOT THEM?? seems people here have definite opinions about what tastes good( rice fed, under 1 year old) but after it is in the bag you are at the mercy of a dead bird. most ducks and geese i have shot/tried to eat made good dog food....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Well now come on Jerry! Don't be a party pooper!

You're right, what splashes down in the pond is what you've got, but its never all bad news.

Waterfowl makes very good processed meat, ala sausages. This year I've had some very good summer sausage and pepper sticks. Waterfowl can be roasted, grilled, and I've used thinly sliced breast meat for philly cheese steak and fajitas.

As has been said, waterfowl has to be medium rare.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, what you shoot is what you get.

I don't shoot shovelers or mergansers for that reason.

Where I hunt diving ducks, pretty much the only food source is plants, so I know that anything that has been there a while is good, and everything from opening weekend is good.

Geese, if you are shooting them the early season, the young of the year are a bit smaller and have a kind of dirty look to them. If you live in the southern tier states, you get a longer season and better shooting, but you will have issues finding the better eating birds on the wing.

Another hint is if they smell skunky when you are cleaning them, they are.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teal are the best ducks to me.

As for geese in my opinion it has to be speckle bellies. Most goose is too red and rich for me though.

Guys have always told me sandhill crane is the best but while I have gotten them, I have never tried preparing it. I never had any trouble giving them away though.

Once some years ago we had a big party with really fancy uptown girls attending. We had gotten geese and one of the guys knew someone to make goose pate from the livers and other pieces. I wish I had gotten the recipe for that. It went fast and I believe more ladies were eating it than guys. Some I suspect would have vomited right there had they known the origin of the tasty dip. Well, I guess it could have been good wine and drinks too that they enjoyed lol Wink.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heym 450/400. Me using a recipe is painfull !
This is braising , starting with a goose for example , cut it into about 12 pieces .Brown in olive oil .Add chopped onion , celery, carrot. Salt and pepper to taste, with chopped parsley. Take [ as one example a lemon ] thinly slice and add to pot .add a full bodied wine .Maintain needed wine /water level to your taste. Simmer with lid open a bit till done .Serve with pasta,or polenta,or smashed potato. Serve with in season veggies of your choice ! Enjoy !

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Years ago, during my college day, we had good black duck hunting at a sewerage treatment plant. It was the only open water when all else was frozen solid. Tried cooking them, and no one could stay in the kitchen.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sandhill Crane the rib eye in the sky.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Years ago, during my college day, we had good black duck hunting at a sewerage treatment plant. It was the only open water when all else was frozen solid. Tried cooking them, and no one could stay in the kitchen.

That's why I avoid the city. If my dog won't retreive it, then I won't bother!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I need some recipe for mallards and wood ducks.
The mallards been eating wheat and corn kernels and the wood ducks are eating hazelnuts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pluck birds and remove breast with leg and thigh attached with skin on. Rub with good steak rub. I like Brown Sugar Bourbon rub.
Grill med rare and let rest for 5-6 minutes and serve with any sides you would eat with a good steak. Slice and pop a cold beer or nice red wine.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a hard question to answer since there has never ever been a good eating duck. It is impossible to enjoy eating one!

I have only eaten Canadian Geese. A little dry, but not too bad!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best is to stop by the store and get a rib eye.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a hard question to answer since there has never ever been a good eating duck. It is impossible to enjoy eating one!

To each his own I suppose, but we think wild ducks are generally wonderful. I eat rib eyes all the time, but I would put my wife's roast duck up against them anyday or various ways of cooking the breasts.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
RECIPE PLEASE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to talk to her and get it, but it's not arcane.

There are dozens of recipes for wild duck on the net.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you stick to the steadfast rule of nothing more well-done than medium then you'll enjoy duck much more. The proper way is to eat mallard first (or teal or woodie if mallards are hard to come by) then compare others. If you try redhead first you may not go back for more of any duck. Canada goose tastes like liver wrapped in swamp grass if you like that sorta thing.

As Gato said, lotsa recipes out there but breast out the duck with the skin on....salt and pepper then place skin side down in a hot skillet with butter/olive oil mixture until skin is seared golden brown....then finish in the oven for about 10 minutes until MEDIUM or LESS. You won't even need a sauce but a demi from veal stock would be perfect.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
The gentleman's duck, a Pintail of course.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
I only kill Mallards, Pintails and Widgeon where I hunt.
I breast out my ducks then soak the fillets in whole milk overnight. Dry them off, stick a couple cloves of pickled garlic in the center of breasts then wrap in a slice of bacon. Grill on BBQ low until the bacon is cooked. Meat is still pink and moist inside. Never had anyone turn them away.

I smoke some of my late season Mallards. Pluck breast. Clip out breast with bone in and skin on. Brine in salt water for an hour. Smoke'm over a pan of water. Let cool in fridge. Remove skin just before eating. Slice thin on crackers. Super!

I "corn" all my goose breasts. Cook them in crock pot. Just like Corned Beef. Easy and very tasty.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Friend makes atomic buffalo turds out of his Canada meat. Very hard to stop eating these.
Take half a jalapeño, spoon in some creamed cheese and minced onion, bury a sliver of goose breast about the size of your pinkie in the cheese mix and wrap the whole thing in a slice of bacon, secured with a toothpick. Grill until the bacon is crisp. Dang!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote