THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    Snake protection: Boots vs. chaps
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake protection: Boots vs. chaps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best just to be careful walking in high grass. I have seen most of the rattlers before I have heard them.
Hate to waste a cartridge on one. I carry a 6' garden hoe in my truck or UTV (snakes nightmare). A snake can strike a bit over 1/3 of their length.
I was on a little guided jeep tour in Sedona Arizona a few years back and the the guide was telling the folks on the trip they could strike 3X their length. I was crying I was laughing so hard.

2X4 is pretty good snake medicine as well.
I have seen far more rattlers up near Childress,Tx. in the Texas panhandle than in S. Texas and Mexico.
Never worn nothing but snake boots.
I have messed with a few with a stick in my life. The garden hoe as was well; right before the WACK!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
One of the largest dens is here between Leander + Georgetown. We were installing the A.C. in this new house these 2 old maids were building right next to it. When we'ed show up in the morning to work the snakes were all over that cool slab. The carpenter would take his push broom + sweep them off the slab. There was an opening in the ground big enough to walk down, no thank you. Whatever possessed those women to built there beats me. I would 'not have to worry about burglars I suppose but you also would never want to come home after dark either. I was never so glad to get off a job.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy: Gad! Nein, danke!

Eeker

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly, when you were walking on the ground you could hear it echoing below you. One of the guys I worked with saw that it was big enough to walk down said he might just check it out. I told him if you do just plan on staying because I'm not going down to retrieve your dumb ass.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gokey snakes boots are expensive but very good,Ross ALLEN wore them all the time.i have hunted and caught many diamondback, moccasins, Pygmy rattlesnakes and corals. I have made big diamondbacks strike and I don’t think I ever saw one that would have hit above mid calf.the Chippewa boots and the many leggings will protect you my only worry with leggings is low on your shoe so I prefer boots. Both of my bites were on the hand and that’s my fault. I still like catching them but at my age I don’t handle them anymore I use tongs

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have the Turtleskin snake chaps. I recall a few years back mule deer hunting in Northern Nevada with a friend of mine who loved to kill and cook rattlers. We were deer hunting one evening near a big cave and went to investigate. Getting within 40 yards of the cave, the whole area became alive with rattlers rattling. It sounded stereophonic. Apparently, the big cave was a rendezvous point for the rattlers wintering in the area. I would have like to have looked in the cave, but we quickly got out of there. I am sure that it was full of rattlers wintering or getting ready to winter. Spooky. No cooked rattlers that evening either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was horseback and just got back to the house in far west Texas, Had to open a gate, grabbed the gate and a snake wrapped around my hand and arm..I had a heart attack, wet my pants and freaked out in general, then died, while my son laughed his silly ass off and said Dad, is just a garter snake, to wit I replied I don't give a shit what kind of snake it is I don't like them being that damn friendly..I have had a lot of experinces with rattlers, as I was raised amongst them, and none of us was ever seriously injured by the grace of God..but lots of funny instances..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep here in Texas in the country, we are around rattlers all the time + it does tend to make you a bit ansy. Too many stories to tell than I have time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just don't bother.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, most of us don't either. Although I must confess that a couple of months ago when entering the shop that there was one on the floor. After not finding that snake you may believe that one tread with caution, also how close you bend over your workbench at waist level. Getting bit in the foot is bad enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We don't bother here.

We watch where we step.

Have you guys got a snake worth worrying about ????

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone that can kill you is one to be concerned about. Healthy respect + caution tends to increase longevity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought camo chaps from Cabela's years ago. I used them once in Venezuela on a dove hunt. They were too heavy, and too hot. I never wore them again and gave them away.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote