Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a polychoke
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted
I am looking for a polychoke for a 12ga barrel.
I have an older model 12 that I want to cut the barrel down a bit and I need a poly choke to put on it.
And help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11928 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply
That is a choke tube.
I am looking for someone that has an original Poly Choke to put on a plain barrel. Not one that is already threaded.
Thanks

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Polychokes are loud and annoying to many fellow shooters. I would pay to have choke tubes installed instead in a heartbeat. There's at least one of what you're looking for on ebay, along with multiple barrels that would likely fit your gun. Should not be a problem if you really want one.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
22RF,

Keep in mind that if you cut the barrel down you could be wreaking havoc with the accuracy of the gun.

Virtually all shotgun tubes are not concentric if you cut that down you may also affect the structural integrity of the gun and rib etc.

Your best bet woudl be to take it to a gunsmith that does Teague chokes as they will be knowledgable about the effects and pitfalls of cutting the barrel

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not to derail your thread, I asked a fellow that sold shotguns once what a polychoke did . . . his answer was that it turned a $1000 shotgun into a $500 shotgun. I thought his comment was pretty clever. That said, good luck finding one.

Mike

Posts: 21131 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 16 gauge Model 12 that my father give me 58 years ago( and he had used it for 20 years before that). Works just fine, as does a 78 y o shotgun with probably a thousand cases of shell through it. tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13123 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are available frequently on eBay. Nothing wrong with a Poly Choke. They work well and look fine on a vintage gun.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine worked fine. And the first year I had it, I couldn't keep my hands off of it. The second year, not so much. The third or fourth year, I set it on mod and there it stayed until I sold the gun. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gatogordo and MJines, I had 3 guns with poly chokes when I was younger.Got rid of them as soon as I could.I have a friend that still uses one,he says he not even sure it works.The tech has changed on shotguns, screw ins are way superior,that is why you do not see poly chokes on new guns for the last 40+ years.

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote