THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    New Mexico triple quail challenge

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico triple quail challenge
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
There aren't a whole lot of grouse in New Mexico except up in the northern forests, but the state is blessed with three species of quail, not including the bobwhites on the edge of the Great Plains.
Down here in the southern half of the state, we have Gambel's quail, scaled quail and the Mearns or Montezuma quail, a somewhat mysterious little bird that prefers grassy pine/oak uplands such as those found in the Gila National Forest. I plan to make it my business to take at least one of each in the next couple of seasons.
Our quail season runs from Nov. 15-Feb. 15, which is nice from the standpoint that in most areas, the rattlesnakes have denned up for the winter. I've spoken with a number of quail veterans here who say they have never encountered a snake during the late fall/winter season, but you can be sure there are exceptions.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
On my wish list, Bill. Just picked up an English Setter pup and we're aiming to put him on a bunch of birds this year. Next year is the road trip...

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Matt, we need photos of your setter pup! Congratulations.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post

He's learning his place in the house (just below Her Exalted Highness, our 10-year-old Golden Retriever), lots of place training and steadiness. First preserve hunts begin next month.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
So far I've only managed to kill Gambel's and scalies (and some scrambles once - G/s hybrids). Last year was a great year for quail. Saw more Gambel's than I have seen in 15 years. I have seen Mearns, but not during season.

Oh, and I'm definitely not one of those guys who hasn't seen rattlers during quail season. I've bumped into a number of them in November and December. Though they are pretty slow in the cool mornings, they come out and move around a little in the warmer part of the day. That's even more common now with Al Gore's global warming, er climate change, er climate disruption...

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bumped into a rattler right outside Alamogordo while quail hunting. My brothers Irish Setter was pointing it.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Damned buzzers.

– John Green, author