New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern Howdah
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am turning over the notion of having a modern howdah pistol made, possibly using a double falling block action (Bailey Bradshaw) in an appropriate rifle caliber WITHOUT a muzzle break. Might use it for large antelope/deer where legal.

Largest handgun I've fired is the .44 magnum. No problem with that recoil using a Ruger Redhawk and the shorter barrel.

Grateful for knowledgeable comment on calibers and barrel lengths. Strikes me that some of the big nitroexpress cartridges just wouldn't burn the powder charge in a 7 to 11 inch barrel, for example. A black powder express using nitro for black might be more traditional. Views?

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Search the big bore section for the 2 bore pistol

How about a TC encore in something big 500S@W comes to mind.

It can be had in many rifle cailbers or do you need a adouble barreled one.

A modren Howdah to me is the 4 inch or under 500S@W

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may run into an issue here.

I recall that when Hamilton Bowen built a modernized Tranter Revolver in .577 he had to register it as a Destructive Device with BATFE.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:
You may run into an issue here.

I recall that when Hamilton Bowen built a modernized Tranter Revolver in .577 he had to register it as a Destructive Device with BATFE.

That's a fact. Owning an antique original is one thing, manufacturing a new pistol over 50 caliber requires a stamp. Althought he 500 Linebaugh is .510 and it seems to fly with the feds if the definition is a .500 "bore, but every "production" 50 cal is .500 grove to skirt the issue entirely.

You are at risk if you build anything other than a muzzle loader without the right registration or an exemption letter. If you look at youtube for the .577 or 700 revolver videos, they were all made in Europe.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a thread about how the game control people in Africa kept a super short barreled double around 16" I think. An Army Navy in 577 for when the SHTF and needed something big and nasty.
To keep it shorter and lighter you could make it a muzzle loader.
Keep in mind barrel length and burning powder inside the barrel.
I think a 45-70 is the best cart for this project and still be legal.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote