THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HAND RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Hand Rifles    Hitting at Distance from the Sitting Position
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hitting at Distance from the Sitting Position
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The companies that make these also have other items that will work for those using rifles or other weapons.
On Saturday I put on the 3rd Church Steel Shoot for my congregation.
Distances were from around 275 yards out to around 800 yards.
Then for fun we back up to 1150 yards. I shot both XP's at 1150, but from the prone position.
We had good conditions towards the end of the day and hitting the target got be be boringly fun.

I shot the the 284 Win XP and the 7mm SAUM XP from the sitting position at 400-675 yards.
They both shot real good.
SIDE NOTE: One thing I discovered on 284 Win is that I kept shooting high (just developed hte load last week and had not had the time to confirm drops).
Came home and added MV until it matched my drops at 675 and 1150 yards.
Currently working with a MV of 2759 with the 168 SMK. YIPEE!
Further confirming of drops will likely end up tweaking the speed/BC some more until the drops are hardened.

With all of that said I also used two different shooting rests for use when hunting in the seated position.
I was able to get out consistently out to 675 yards.
I did miss a couple of times at the 640+, but out to a little over 500 yards it was pretty much a sure thing with both designs.
I am pretty excited over that.

The BOG-GEAR/BOG-POD tri-pod is their CLD-3 combined with the PSR.
BOG-POD's site:
http://www.boggear.com/index.html

At around 500 yards I started to use a soft stadium seat to give me some support/stability.
Joel, my hunting buddy shot the 7 SAUM XP at 403 or 405 (can't remember).
He made two first shot connections with it and had never used it before.

The other set-up with my Rear grip XP in 284 Win (McRee stock) is
Carbon fiber Promaster 325P with "The Claw."
They have updated the CLAW and now have the TriClawps as well.
http://www.triclawps.com/

BOG-GEAR's product is more lightweight, flexible and economical to use over a Carbon Fiber Tri-pod with The CLAW or their new TRI-CLAWPS.

At first, I thought the CLAW would have a big advantage, but it didn't.

This is my 2nd time to use BOG-GEAR's CDL-3 with the PSR at distance.

If one had an easy to adjust mono-pod that would work well with the grip of pistol combined with the tri-pod/CLAW one could get even further and with greater ease.

It took a lot of focus and fiddling with stance and grip to be accurate, but it is very possible.
I am going to be doing more work with both systems, and I really think that for the type of hunting I do, BOG-GEAR is going to be my go to set-up.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Looks like a bunch of fun.

Thanks for sharing.

./

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote