THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HAND RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Hand Rifles    Rossi Ranch Hand Mare's leg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rossi Ranch Hand Mare's leg
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
After initially concluding these are silly wastes of money, I succumbed to the charm and bought one in .44 Magnum. Have only had it to the range once so far, but accuracy results were quite promising. I'm adding a rear aperture sight from Stevesgunz.com and initial fiddling suggests this is a winner.
I'll post load and shooting technique results as I work with it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Did Steve McQueen ever use the sights?

It makes for a nice retro PCC; but for another thread.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Bounty Hunter was one of my childhood heroes. BUTTTTT, what in th HECK is it good for?

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be neat to buy one and put a full buttstock on it and make a lever action SBR.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BUTTTTT, what in th HECK is it good for?
So you think that a firearm has to have a defined use in order to exist? "Well buddy we don't think anyone needs an AR-15, so you can't buy them any more." Sometimes just wanting it is enough justification to own it. Maybe someone just wants to dress up like Josh and play 'bounty hunter' around the house with an empty gun. Beats pedophilia....

But seriously, for a practical use a 'house gun' comes to mind. It would be better than any revolver under stress - easier to hit with yet still handy. Ammunition chosen to suit the need, and plenty of intimidation factor from cycling the action and the big hole in the barrel.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I think we would all agree that a gun can be a TOOL, a TOY, or BOTH, depending on how it is used.

I can remember when I was a kid there were toy lever actions sold that had a screw through the trigger guard, or a fold out flap in the trigger guard, that when activated caused the rifle to fire when the lever was operated, and then closed, just like Lucas McCains rifle [The Rifleman].

I think IF I had one of these Ranch Hands, I would have something like that Professionaly installed.
I think it would add to the fun [toy] and to actual use up close under stress[tool]uses of the gun.

So Bill keep us updated on your shooting and use of the Ranch Hand, both as a "Toy" and as a "Tool".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Random thoughts...

Positive aspects of the Ranch Hand as a tool.

It is a 44 Mag, and has a longish barrel for a "handgun" and no barrel cylinder gap, so you get good velocity with your different loads.
You can shoot light loads, to loads capable of killing certainly any animal in North America.

As Bill's targets show it does have good accuracy.

As a Lever action it will be reliable and rugged.
Also you can reload the magazine with the gun cocked.

It is slim, trim and very short, so it can be stored, carried, and concealed in many places.

It may sound funny, but this Ranch Hand does not even look as evil as a regular revolver.

After all it is "just a little lever action"... Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OKAY! OKAY!
We seriously need a sarcasm font!
I didn't question its legitimacy, for gosh's sake. And one of the best reasons for buying a new gun is "because I just want one." I was trying to get some rational idea of why I wanted/needed one!

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, I scratched this itch and sold the Ranch Hand, but I would certainly consider owning another. In retrospect it was more practical than it first appeared.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote