Find
Notify
Tools

7mm BR but why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have a ton of 6mm BR brass and some ammo from my old Blaser R93 in that caliber.

I have been looking for a XP-100 in 6mm BR for a while, but I haven't seen one I thought was a good deal.

And the thought of spending $850-1400 for an 700 clone action or donor XP to turn into what I want isn't that appealing. There seems to be a few XP's in 7mm Br with Leupold or Burris EER scopes and some even have McMillan or Hs Precision stocks on them for a price I'd part with, and I figure worse case scenario another $650 and I am in a new stainless barrel if it doesn't shoot.

Is it powerful enough to hunt deer and pigs with out to say 250 yards?

What would be a comparable round?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
7mm br but not a hand rifle. I had a defunked company in Fla do the barrel on a 22-250 mini-mauser. James Anderson has it now.

Very accurate but I never hunted with it.

before pics:

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
richj,

I didn't need to see that, and I now hate you.

What a neat little rifle.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many tout 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC and 300 Blackout as great deer and hog cartridges. The 7mm BR is in the same or better performance range.
I have carried my 7mm BR XP but never shot anything with it.

Mark

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my XP's started life in 7mmBR with a custom barrel. I had it re-chambered in 7-08. It is absolutely the most accurate firearm I own. I've used it on several bears and a mule deer. Does a fine job.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Just saw this post. 7 br will work at the yardage you are looking for. However all of my 7's are in the 284 win, SAUM, & WSM size. Recently they are taking a backseat to the creedmoors ( 6 & 6.5 ) super accurate and can really stretch out the max range.
Good luck on finding the SP in your caliber there are several out there and don't cost an arm and leg.

Posts: 34 | Location: Goodyear AZ | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an XP in 7mmBR. with a custom barrel. To be honest it was hard for me to wring all the accuracy out of it due to my inability to hold the damn thing steady on the rest. I would suggest getting a rifle! I doubt that the caliber is as effective on deer and hogs at 250 yards as some other 7mm's. It was meant as a bench rest cartridge after all. However, others may know more.
Peter
PS. I may still have some brass!

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 3 mule deer with my XP 7mm BR between 100 and 200 yards. All one shot kills.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 7BR is one of the most efficient and accurate cartridges I have worked with.

I've long lost count of the game I've taken over the years with either the 7BR or calibers with virtually identical ballistics. Due to medical issues, I can no longer hunt with handguns but still shoot similar rounds in Contender rifles. My 7mm Bullberry drives a 120 grain Ballistic Tip to around 2650 fps with top-end loads, not all that far ahead of the 7BR in a 14" barrel. I recently took the hog below from 210 yards with that load. It entered tight behind the shoulder, wrecked the heart, a portion of the lungs and exited through the opposite shoulder, leaving a red-painted swath for the 10 yards that the hog was able to run.

I personally prefer the 140 grain BT or C-T BST but recently switched to the 120 in an attempt to reduce the already-mild recoil even moreso. If hogs are on your menu, those 2 are worth a try as I have taken dozens of hogs with Nosler and C-T 140s with both the 7mmBB and 7-30 Waters. They are the same bullet with the only difference being the coating on the C-T version. From a 14-15" barrel, your 7BR should do 2300 fps with ease shooting 140 grainers and 2400+ fps with 120s and will take care of any hog out to 200 yards or a bit more. My favorite "deer" load in several XPs consisted of 32 grains of H335 and the 120 grain BT for a shade over 2400 fps. It worked like a charm for me and several others as well.

I apologize in advance for all the photos, but I guess the point I want to stress is that the moderate-velocity 7mms, given proper bullets, work wonderfully on game. I have never felt undergunned with any of them.

Here are hogs taken on the same morning and about 10 minutes apart. The recovered bullet (in color) was from the first, taken from app. 190 yards (if my memory serves!) with a shoulder-to-shoulder shot.

Here is another with similar performance.

And as you can see, even the brutes don't stand a chance against a properly-placed 7mm/140 Nosler (old-style solid base) traveling at modest velocity:

This buck was taken from 230 yards with a quartering-to presentation. MV of the 140 grain Ballistic Tip was just over 2400 fps. The bullet entered near the front of the shoulder, penetrated the heart and continued on through nearly the length of the animal.

This one: 220 yards. 140 grain C-T BST at app. 2600 fps MV/220 yards/complete penetration/broadside.

And one more:

140 grain Nosler SB @ 2400 fps MV on a TPWD draw hunt/San Angelo:

And one last critter: a hog taken with a 7mm Int'l Rimmed/Hornady 120 more than a quarter-century ago:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote