Notify
Tools

largest handrifle?
 Login/Join

Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
A real handy plinker

think twice, shoot once

Posts: 21 | Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley | Registered: 22 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My big boy is a SSK .416 Taylor Encore. With SSKs big break, it's not that brutal to shoot, but boy, does it shoot. Taken 3 elephants, lion, 2 Cape buff, 900# roan. All off hand. All 1 shot except one elephant.
Also have 2 SSK .375/.284 XPs. Super accurate, easy to shoot. Did a eland, hippo with one shot, and 100+ deer out to 350 yds. All the deer dropped.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Got any videos of the Elephants or pic's of any of the exotic game?
I would love to shoot that 416 T. encore just to say I had.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2020-21 we made 5 more 600 Nitro Encores pistols. People sat at home during the panic reading the internet looking for bad ideas.
I still won’t shoot it.

Mark

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have great insurance but even after seeing someone shoot the 416T or especially the 600 Nitro in an Encore pistol I probably would chicken out.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biggest I have is the 375 Chey-Tac.
https://youtu.be/SpvoURwOkSM
https://youtu.be/TpDUHbA0Qp0

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In Encore I have the following: 470 Capstick, 458 Lott, 416 Remington Magnum, 416 Taylor and a 375 H&H Magnum. Also at one time or another had a 458 Winchester Magnum and a 416 Rigby.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Honestly you guys are way tougher than me, I probably wouldn't even be able to even get those boomers sighted in.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a JD Jones 470 Nitro Encore. Not the biggest ever done, but it's pretty spicy.

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will stick to my “puny” Linebaugh .500 Linebaugh thank you

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
recoil can be mitigated

444 Marlin Contender

think twice, shoot once

Posts: 21 | Location: Ridgelines of the Roanoke Valley | Registered: 22 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a .45-70 barrel for my contender.

I also have a .30-06 Encore.

The .45-70 is fun to shoot.

I've shot 5 or so rounds out of the encore. I could feel ligaments moving in my wrist with some hornady heavy magnum ammo.

It has no muzzle brake or porting.

I have no issue shooting .50 BMG/.470 NE/.416 hunting arms from the shoulder.

I have no real use for the .30-06 as a pistol. I brought it with the idea of using it for hunting, but practically its not useful to me. I get close enough that a .300 BLK or traditional revolver round does the job if I want to hunt with a handgun.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post
You can reload using Trail Boss and enjoy your '06
or get an extension or brake added to use as carbine
That's a lot of powder to burn in 15" of barrel
Lemme know if you tire of it!
Thanks,
Jimmy

think twice, shoot once

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Saw a 16 inch 50 BMG at a local Gun Store last weekend and it didn't have a butt stock on it but it may have just not had the butt stock mounted on it but there wasn't one lying around to suggest that. It looked like it may have been a single shot Noreen but not sure.

Steve............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
How long do the scopes on those guns last?

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Jimmy in VA
posted Hide Post

think twice, shoot once

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Encore 270 Winchester cut to 16 1/2” to fit in a small Pelican case. Cut barrel and replaced front sight.
Done for a planned West Virginia bear hunt with a friend and his Hillbilly (their words) neighbors. I can put gun and clothes in the case, 270 ammo can be had anywhere.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy bought a T.C. in 30-30 back in the 70s + was always tormenting us all with his bastardization of the Dirty Harry diatribe. He would hold his TC + go "this is the most powerful handgun, etc., etc., You gotta ask yourself, did he fire one or none."

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
A buddy bought a T.C. in 30-30 back in the 70s + was always tormenting us all with his bastardization of the Dirty Harry diatribe. He would hold his TC + go "this is the most powerful handgun, etc., etc., You gotta ask yourself, did he fire one or none."

I have no clue what this guy did, but a lot of folks shoot fairly regularly with specialty pistols in those chamberings, and larger.

I have a 224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, 7x30 Waters and a 30-30AI on my G-2 pistol

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote