Find
Notify
Tools

largest handrifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
What is the largest round/most powerful round chambered in the Tender and Encore platforms? I know there are some videos of some in 600 Nitro.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 12 gauge is probably the largest case the Encore can take (the chamber walls start getting pretty thin) and something like 600 NE would be probably be about the max recoil. In the Contender, the 50/70 or 28 gauge is about the max case size and something like the 460 Jurras Howdah is probably about the max recoil level.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
458 Win Mag & 416 Rigby are the more common big toys.

There are some folks that have gone radical, such as the guy that got smoked by that 600 NE, but that is something you will have trouble getting someone to chamber.

Greg

Posts: 15 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 23 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember, when using a large bore rifle cartridge in the shorter barrel you are only going to burn and use so much powder and the rest goes out the end of the barrel as a flash. Cartridges such as the 500 S&W burning a max load of pistol powder are much more effective in the short barrels less than 14"...and quite powerful.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Too much fun!!!

If you can read the barrel chambering, it says 338-284. It can launch a 250g Berger hunting VLD at 2400 fps (3200 ft-lb), and it is supersonic at 1000 yards. It will be able to knock anything in North America off at distance of more than 500 yards. It will burn a full case of RE17 (58g) and burn over 99% before the bullet leaves the barrel. Its efficient in its own right.

I ran the numbers for a 416 Rigby, and loaded up it will have more energy at 200 yds than a 500 Smith has at the muzzle. It can burn a case full of RE25 (106g) and burn more than 95% of it in barrel. I came up with 4300 ft-lbs at the muzzle, and it is overkill for critters in my back yard.

I've thought of getting the Rigby, but the reason would be to watch the fear of the tough guys at the range when you offer them the chance to pull the trigger. It might be worth the price!!!

Greg

Posts: 15 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 23 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I held the 600 NE Encore that was made by Dave Van Horn, http://www.dvhcustomguns.com/ that is infamous for the YouTube video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCInkw3641w
Dave asked if I wanted to shoot it, I said “No, and if I ever change my mind and ask to shoot it do not let me.”
The guy wanted the largest cartridge just for bragging rights; he knows it is not practical. The guy in the video was not hurt; the gun did not hit him. The scope was damaged hitting the ground

Mark

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Guys, those 3 guns are really impressive. The closest I have gotten to those was a 45/70 with a 405 gr bullet in a 14 inch Tender that I shot once and I mean once. I had no trouble with my 15 inch Encore in 308 Win.

Steve E.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
If you use a solid 2 handed grip, the 600 nitro is doable. But the video on you tube with it flying backwards by the guys head has scared most from shooting it. With a good 2 handed grip, the recoil is straight back. Recoil is ridiculous, but doable. I have encore handguns in 600 nitro, 500 nitro, 416 rigby,460 weatherby,30-378 weatherby, and 50-140. the 460 and 600 have crazy recoil.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I think I saw a 50 BMG somewhere; which would make it the most powder burned; not the biggest caliber.
If you have an efficient enough brake, you can shoot anything from a pistol. Look at the ones on Arma Lite AR30 and 50 rifles; they are probably the most efficient made. The simple round port types are not the best.

Posts: 17035 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I think I saw a 50 BMG somewhere; which would make it the most powder burned; not the biggest caliber.
If you have an efficient enough brake, you can shoot anything from a pistol. Look at the ones on Arma Lite AR30 and 50 rifles; they are probably the most efficient made. The simple round port types are not the best.

Long time ago I talked with a guy involved with a 50bmg pistol project. It was to use the action with the bolt that comes out, about a 15" barrel and a giant brake. And be HEAVY!!
He said what makes the gun shootable is the short barrel. The velocity is way down and a lot of the powder has not burned to form gases.
It still has crazy recoil but it was intended to just prove it could be done..

Mark

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That makes sense; you can shoot 50 bmg ammo out of a 12 ga shotgun because the powder does not burn efficiently.

Posts: 17035 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
How about a black powder 2 bore single shot pistol with an 8" barrel. Shoots a 1.325" lead ball weighing right at 3400 grains. With 100 grains of powder, it is a real hand full. You just have to hang on really tight!

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched the video and I recognized the range, it was the old site owned by Aurora Sportsmans Club Suger Grove, Illinois
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
I held the 600 NE Encore that was made by Dave Van Horn, http://www.dvhcustomguns.com/ that is infamous for the YouTube video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCInkw3641w
Dave asked if I wanted to shoot it, I said “No, and if I ever change my mind and ask to shoot it do not let me.”
The guy wanted the largest cartridge just for bragging rights; he knows it is not practical. The guy in the video was not hurt; the gun did not hit him. The scope was damaged hitting the ground

Mark

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
I don't think practicality was ever mentioned in the first place. Just something different.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago Birdman shot a 50BMG handgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XX2lIT1tQ

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Pretty funny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They all look like they would be fun if a 50lb weight was hanging from the muzzle!

I draw the line at 400gr max loads from my model 83 Premier custom.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2972 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nevermind!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
It's not a very new idea.

But I would strongly recommend against placing one's fingers in front of the muzzle when shooting.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to be on either end of that one.

Steve..............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
now way are you burning 100gr of rifle powder in a barrel of 14" or less. Reminds me of the 45/70 in a revolver utilizing rifle powder..that gets the same or less velocity than a 475 Linebaugh using pistol powder. Just a waste and get nothing in return.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw on anther site someone had a bolt pistol
In 338 Edge

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Now that's gonna hurt.

Steve..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Although I've owned and traded off 15" Encore breakless pistol length barrels in 6.5 Rem. Mag., 7mm STW and 338-06 I've finally settled on three barrels that I feel will do just about anything I'd ever want to do.

1. 16 7/8" (counting SSK brake) SSK barrel chambered in 35 Whelen.

2. Brakeless 15" bull barrel (1" dia.) TC Custom Shop barrel chambered in 6.5-284 Winch.

3. Brakeless 15" heavy barrel TC Custom Shop 6.5x55 Swede.

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
bigdoggy2bore

Now I would like to watch someone shoot that one.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I had a TC Contender in .45-70 for several years. I didn't find it particularly harsh with factory rounds or my reloads. IIRC the barrel was only about 12" give or take a bit. Not more than 14". In fact, I used to take it to the range when I was teaching the NRA basic handgun class to ladies groups. They enjoyed shooting it after all the other handguns. Gave them bragging rights with their husbands, boy friends, etc.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Call me a wuss I guess, the 405 gr ammo I shot was factory loads from Buffalo Bore Ammo running about 2000 to 2100 fps and that was all I wanted at the time. He had some five hundred grain loads but I decided to pass on those.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I said "had" one. As I got older it seemed to be getting to be a bigger beast. Trust me, I was happy in the end to find it a new home.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
LOL, I'm still a wuss when it comes to the 45/70 'Magnum' ammo from Buffalo Bore. My 15 inch 308 Encore barrel is quite pleasant to shoot compared to those 45/70 loads. I had a 10 inch 'Tender' in 309 JDJ that would smack you pretty good too especially with 180 gr bullets.

Steve.............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose I could put the pistol grips back on my 45-70 23inch barrel contender and give it a go. But no thanks.

But then my 460 smith BFR is bad with a 300 gr at 1550.

But a 460 gr at the same speed might be much.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the long barrel would help dampen recoil some. I am having a 357 bull barrel rebored to 45 caliber, it's a 14 inch bull barrel and am thinking about chambering it in 460 S&W. I already have the dies, and some reloaded ammo, worse comes to worse I can machine a brake into the barrel. I've never played with a 460 before.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

posted Hide Post
I have the following in the encore handgun platform, 470 Capstick, 458 Lott, 458 Taylor, 416 Remington, (had a 458 Winchester Magnum and a 416 Rigby sold both thou), and a 375 H&H.

BTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My entry is a 14” SSK Contender barrel in .50-70. With 750-grain BMG bullets and a barrel about as thick as a 12 gauge barrel the recoil really gets your attention. Twenty shots a day was about all I wanted.

With lightweight 500-grain cast bullets it was fine. Still take it out occasionally, the most fun was shooting tracers, the slow velocity and ricochets make it fun to watch, especially on an overcast day. Of course I always shot out over mud flats so risk of fire was zero.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
TX
Do you have a video of you shooting the 750 gr bullets?

Steve....

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the TC 45-70 with the 17" muzzle break and it was easier to shoot than the .35 Rem. They've been passed on to my Son.
The .35 seems to want to break your wrists while the 45/70 pushed your arms up.
I agree about 20 rounds a day was plenty.
Hunting with a bow or pistol makes a hunter out of you, not an assassin.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A 14-inch barrel in .375 JDJ and open sights was about all the fun I cared to have with a Contender. I always thought it would be a hoot to have a .50-70 barrel and shoot black powder and cast.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16292 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 14" 50/70 Contender barrel.
Cast bullets with Trail Boss is a fun load.

M

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I saw a video a couple of years ago of a guy shooting a Contender in .416 Rigby. Hilarious, he damn near fell over backwards + you could see the sheet metal roof of the range cover flex with the shock wave. He just lept back peddling.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya sure it wasn't a Encore?

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Or Encore.
I have seen the video in the past and I think it is mistakenly labeled Contender.
We can be pretty darn sure it was not a Contender!
Just did a quick look see and did not find that one in youtube. It is, or at least was in the past.

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote