New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Handgun for Ohio
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I want to use a single shot handgun for deer hunting, which cartridge may work best- Accuracy using a scope, recoil, and range? Is anyone using a .375 Winchester, 40-65 Winchester, 45-70, etc.? In Ohio I am limited- must be .357 or larger cal, min. 5 inch barrel, must use a stright walled case-tapered case is OK (no bottelneck cart.) Ohio still refuses to face allowing these cartridges to be used in a centerfire rifle.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jim-

Given a 14" barrel, the .357 Max and .375 Win will give you solid 150 yard performance for deer. You didn't state your level of experience with hunting handguns, but if you are not familiar and comfortable with the recoil generated by the likes of the 45-70 -- even in a properly set-up rig -- you'll be in for quite an awakening.

Even the .44 Magnum will suffice for 100-125 yards. You could even go with a shorter 10" tube on this one and not give up much in the performance department.

Bullet selection will be a critical element in your success, but once you decide on a caliber, we can get into that discussion.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9322 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I use a 6 inch smith and wesson 29. Still hoping and waiting to use my marlin 1894 in 44 mag.

Posts: 5694 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I spent three winters in southern Indiana where the laws are simelar.

Fortunantly one differance was that we could use a bottle neck round when hunting with a handgun and I used a 30-30 and a .357 Herrett.

I bought a 44 mag barrel for my contender thinking that if I was ever invited to Ohio (nearby)I would have a gun for the job but although it shot super accurate like all TC barrels do, I still wondered why I did that when I have a bunch of .44 revolvers.

Oh well I still have the TC barrel and the revolvers as well but I haven't hunted down there in two years now.

If I ever go back and want to hunt with a .44 I'll probably bring my scoped redhawk.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Ohio with a 454 Casull, and a 45/70 govt. The 45/70 is in a T/C Contender, and is very abusive!! the 454 is in the Ragin Bull and is fun to shoot. Both can come in single shots Contender and Encore, Both shoot very well.

But on second thought I would be very happy with a 44 mag in a Contender as most of my hunting is in the woods?

Oh 375 win. yep good , but hard to find ammo and components.

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim M.:
If I want to use a single shot handgun for deer hunting, which cartridge may work best- Accuracy using a scope, recoil, and range? Is anyone using a .375 Winchester, 40-65 Winchester, 45-70, etc.? In Ohio I am limited- must be .357 or larger cal, min. 5 inch barrel, must use a stright walled case-tapered case is OK (no bottelneck cart.) Ohio still refuses to face allowing these cartridges to be used in a centerfire rifle.

I think the 375 Winchester has excellent potential though I've never tried it. Likewise a 357 Maximum.

I've taken quite a few big game animals with a Encore handgun in 460 S&W Magnum with the longest shot taken being a Klipspringer at about 180 yards. I would consider that cartridge good to maybe 250 yards after which a plunging trajectory becomes problematic. I consider it pretty picky to load for but with the proper load mine will do well under an inch for 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

My Encore in 500 S&W Magnum will do about an inch for 3 shot groups at 100 yards but the recoil is more than a lot of handgunners would tolerate. I would consider its potential useful range up to maybe 150 yards.

A Contender handgun I have in 44 Remington Magnum will do 1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards and would be very adequate for deer. In my opinion it's a bit hard to get a 44 Magnum to shoot that well; mine has a custom SSK Industries barrel with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8X handgun scopes (actually most of my single shot handgun barrels wear the same type of scope).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
guys in Ohio you are limited to 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag or 45 colt/casul. 45-70, 375 winchester or 40-65 are not legal rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WE are not limited to those calaburs any more. now it is .357 cal. or larger, with a straight walled case. 45/70 and 375 win. are included.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When did this change? Eeker Just checked the 2010 rules book online and 375 and 45/70 were not mentioned. I then sent e-mail to HQ. I will confirm if you are correct and be in the market for a new gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will send you the link when I get home from work, about 12:00 midnight. they changed it about 5 years ago.

here is my e-mail addy. if you send me yours I will send it directly to you?

dlh4570@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http:/i247.photobucket.com.albums.gg126/Jumping_Frog/ODNR Directive 2006-04-02 Page 1

ODNR Directive 2006-04-02 Page 2

Try these. and good shopping!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you conssidered the S&W 460? It is reeported to have the same muzzle energy a 44 Mag does @ 200 yds! Shoots real flat too. I don't have one, but a friend does and we shot before AL deer season out to 200 yds. 0 was 100 yds, @ 200 POI was same as 100 yd shots on a full size deer target holding just a few inches over the 100 yd group. He used to hunt IL with 7-30 Water TC and got this when the rules changed.

Posts: 37 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of all the choices, I would pick a good 10" 44 mag and a good 250gr bullet.

Learn the drop and you'll be set. A good portable rest and range finder and a scope you can dial in the distance and there won't be a deer that you can see that will get away from you. Smiler

Posts: 40 | Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
240gr for those who don't pour your own bullets. Smiler

Posts: 40 | Location: Asheville, NC | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I'm heading to Iowa next week with a Contender in 375 Win. I'll let you know how it works out.

Haven't even shot it yet. But 'bout ready.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see the .375 Winchester on the "approved" Ohio Div. of Wildlife list

Its' lower pressure almost identicle twin (the .38-55) is approved for use.

Also the shorter .375 Super Mag is on the approved list.

Odd laws in Ohio!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep it's there! I know of 2 guys in the Columbus area that have used it for several years now.

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I aiways thought the 414 Super Mag in the Contender would be a slick deer gun.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
legal 357mag and max. 375 win, 41 mag 445 supermag, 45 lc, 460 sw, 500sw, 38-55, 44 spec, 444 marlin, 45 win mag, 480 rug, 500 and 475 linebaugh,38 special, 10mm auto, 44 mag, 45 acp, 45-70, 500 action express, 375 super mag, 41 action express, 44 auto mag, 45 gap, 454 casull.

Posts: 149 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 357 Maximum was my choice in Illinois. Worked very well.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi
It would be so nice to get someone on the board who actually knows something about guns, outlineing what can be used for deer hunting in Ohio!
It's ok for example to shoot deer with a 5" 1911 in 45acp, but not ok to use any handgun in any caliber with a barrel less than 5 inches. How about a 4 inch 500S&W,460, or 44mag.
Ohio is a great state to deer hunt in but the clowns in columbus making the rules really need to get educated on the power factor of modern handguns.

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And there idiotic idea of straight wall cartridges is another one.

Here is what I am working on to use here. It started as a 356 win so I made it straight and ended up with this. Should work good in my Encore.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote