THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HAND RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Hand Rifles    lookin for a 45acp any opinions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lookin for a 45acp any opinions.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
I want to pick up a 45acp.
Been lookin at them at the local gun shops.
There are some Brazilen made springfields.
shorter than a 1911 short with a heavy barrel. does any one shoot this and what do you think?
The second one is a 1911 A1 springfield made in USA looks like a nice gun it has a long slide.
Both are under $500 each.
Thanks Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

It's been a while since your post and no advice, so here is my meager bit of knowledge.

The pistols from Springfield Armory have good reputations. If the Brazilian one you are looking at is a Taurus, they have a mixed reputation.

Make sure you get a couple extra magazines.

How much experience do you have with semi-automatic firearms/semi-automatic pistols or handguns and firearms in general?

Larry (Lost Sheep)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave

I have to say that Spingields have mixed reports. I worked on every one that came into a local sporting goods store.
Any of the older 1911's in my opinion are a better product and would not hesitate to purchase them.
Kimber use to make a very nice copy as well.

Neal

One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
shorter than a 1911 short with a heavy barrel. does any one shoot this and what do you think?
The second one is a 1911 A1 springfield made in USA looks like a nice gun it has a long slide.
Both are under $500 each.
Thanks Dave

Dave,
Everybody and their second cousin will absolutely either hate or love a certain gun. You will never get an accurate answer on an opinion type question. Do some research on your own. Internet. Cop friend. Military friend. Magazines.
I own a lot of different brands,types, styles of .45 ACP
Remember: Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and most all of them stink.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several opinions, not just one... Wink

I own a Kings Gunworks custom (older) Commander, a Paraordnance P-14, a Kimber Classic II and a Springfield "Loaded." The Commander and the Springfield are the most accurate. The Kimber has that darned external extractor and will be going back to have the slide changed out to an internalextractor version soon, I hope. I currently shoot the P-14 the most since I use it in practical pistol matches once a month due the high cap magazines. (Means I have to reload less often.)

I would say, go for the one that appeals to you most and fits your budget. All of the above are good reliable pistols. I would caution you to stay away from any Kimber with the external extractor, as Kimber has stopped making those.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
Both are under $500 each.Thanks Dave
[/QUOTE]

I almost bought a brazilian or was it Philipino copy of the WW2 issue 1911 two years ago. A friend that is a 1911 collector, and owns some real high dollor 1911's said for the money $390 dollors they where the best he had ever shot. Could they perform with the Goldcups no! But for a great little 1911 he said they work and function just fine. They are marketed under the name Rock Island Armory.
Any way if they impressed Doug they must be desent little guns for the money.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The category you are looking at I think the Smith & Wesson is the best gun for the money.

I don't think the 1911 should be imported.

Research Les Baer, you may decide to save your money and buy real American Quality.

Just My Opinion.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Springfield Armory Mil-spec. It was a great shooting gun. I sold it to my buddy when I got my LAR Grizzly 45 Win Mag. He shoots the heck out of it, and he loves the gun. Not one problem, even with thousands of rounds down the tube.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kimber! Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I bought a High standard last year and it shoots very well. Its reliable and I have had no problems at all.
A target pistol it is not but I didnt buy it for that either.

It shoots well enough that it will hit a man sized chest target at 50 yards easy enough.

I bought it for stopping power for shooting across the room thumb

Besides it is a Classic.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3067 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the work of Harold Thomason and Virgil Tripp. Les Baer and McCormick also provide fine products.

Off the shelf, SA and Kimber seem to be the best out of the box for under 700 bucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a Sig 220 LE a few years ago and it IS the last 45 I will ever need. It has performed flawlessly feeding any type of ammo fed to it. FMJ,HP,Half-Jacket,RBCD, take your pick. And the out-of-the-box accuracy is phenominal. I have a friend in Alvarado,TX that is always trying to get me to trade for his Kimber that he has almost $4000.00 into. I paid $800.00 for mine.
my two cents

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I got a Sig 220 LE a few years ago and it IS the last 45 I will ever need. It has performed flawlessly feeding any type of ammo fed to it. FMJ,HP,Half-Jacket,RBCD, take your pick. And the out-of-the-box accuracy is phenominal. I have a friend in Alvarado,TX that is always trying to get me to trade for his Kimber that he has almost $4000.00 into. I paid $800.00 for mine.
my two cents

Andy

I paid 630 NIB for my favorite carry Kimber, a Custom II. Feeds anything, dead reliable. I even shoot cast WCs in it for practice. Second favorite is a Springer I prolly have a bit of time in but about the same money, just changed a few parts and made a few to suit me better.

Important thing to keep in mind if you carry / carry concealed or are a LEO: If you end up having to shoot somebody, your favorite .45 might end up in an evidence locker for a long time until you're cleared of all charges.

High endy ones are more play than working guns.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
It is called a "1911" because that is the year the US Army adopted as the primary side arm and it is still going strong

For what it is worth, elite soldiers & cops have always liked single action, single stacked pistols & steel over plastic

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Sig 220, A great piece of firearm. So nicley put together, but I sold it and bought new a Ruger P345, for half what I sold the Sig for. It does everything the sig would do except the snob appeal. I like the polymar frame.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a sig p220 in the late 1990's for $499 still have it very accurate right out of the box & a durable handgun. I also have a 1991A1 Colt Gov't with a 22 conversion kit had to take to a race gun mechanic for some mods so I could hit the target I was aiming at it reminded me of the Remington 1911A1 ww2 surplus I bought from the NRA in 1962 for $15 couldn't hit anything with it,it was really loose..

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
It all depends on the $'s, the fit in your hand and what you like. (and can afford.)
The Wilson's, Nighthawk's, Brown's ,Baer's ,McCormicks ,etc, etc are truly great guns--but $$$$$$.
The current Taurus 1911 is good for the money.

I have /had numerous .45 competition and carry guns.
I have H&K USP's Compacts as my current carry favorites.
I also have various 1911's - in original military, customs and factory trim, as well as having had 220 Sigs and XD's etc.

Many , many good dependable choices.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote