New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm SAUM XP-100
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First, here is a pic of this 7m SAUM beauty built by Mac's Gunworks: (Shop: 307-685-3373 or Chuck's Cell: 307-689-2796)
http://macsgunworks.com/default.aspx

Action has been trued, pinned lug, New bolt, Seekins picatinny 20 MOA Base, Modified (strengthened) H-S Stock, NF Rings, Leupold FFP Mark 6.5-20 with ART (Holland's) reticle, Holland Radial Quick Discharge brake. Barrel 1-9 twist Lawton, chambered in 7mmSAUM.
Load is a 162 A-Max, H-1000, Fed Match primer @ 2759 fps from the muzzle.

This is the beginning of a switch barrel/switch bolt rig that Chuck (Mac's Gunworks) is building. His shop is South of Gillette, WY.
Chuck has done very nice work on this as you can tell by the pics and the shooting.
This is the first of four barrels to be fitted:
7mm SAUM (Lawton 1-9 twist)
6.5 Leopard (WSM) (Benchmark 1-8 twist)
6.5x47 Lapua (Shilen Select match 1-8 twist)
6mm-284 (Broughton 5C 1-8 twist)

First time it had field use was when I helped teach a couple of LR shooting schools for Darrell Holland (Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply http://www.hollandguns.com/) at the end of April through early May. I took my 7mm SAUM center-grip XP and my 7mm Rem Mag Improved MOA--Can't let the rifle guys have all the fun
Worked long days, but it was very enjoyable.
Darrell has opened the school to specialty pistol shooters when I am there, but we had none this year.
When I had some free time when the students were on solo mode I was able to do some shooting between 400 to just under 900 yards.
Good fortune was on my side, because I never missed steel one time.
I wish I could say this is always the case, but it is not so. Most of the target were 10"x16", but there were two humanoid targets like the one pictured below.

Also, about 20 rifle guys got introduced to specialty handguns at long range.
None of this shooting was from the bench and there were no wind flags.
One of the students from the second class watched me shoot beyond 800 yards in a 14mph wind on last day of class, told me that if he had read or heard someone talk about such a shot with a specialty handgun he would say that person is full of cow manure (I edited his actual words). I asked him what thought about it now, and he said with a smile, I witnessed it myself and I still can't believe it."

Two one-shot attempts at 775 yards (one shot per person).
This was Jody's first shot from a SP, although I had him dry-fire several times to get used to the trigger.
He was one of the assistant instructors for the second class.
His brother helped with the first class and shot both specialty handguns good also.

I kidded with Jody afterward, telling him "long-range handgunning so easy that even a rifleman can do it."

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope you are not advocating "hunting" at those extended ranges. That would be plain irresponsible. Nice handgun though.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF someone is capable of consistenyly keeping their shots in the kill zone in field conditions, I would not discourage it anymore than I would if the distance was 200 yards.
A hit in the vitals is a hit in the vitals.
Glad you like the XP.

Ernie

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
VERY nice rig.

I got one just like it(almost Big Grin)...I have the light grey/white pebbly surfaced HS from 30 odd years ago.

It started out as a 7mmBR, got rechambered to 284 W, then rebarreled to 7-08...I copied the muzzle brake and did it myself...it has an early Burris 10x EER scope on it that is almost as long as the pistol...hahahahaha...

I shoot 120 gr Hornady VMax's in it as they have proven to be the most accurate of the lighter bullets, but I will be trying the 162's sometime this year after I get it back together after doing some trigger mods.

I haven't shot anything at 775 yds...hell I can't even see that far...but out to 300 yds or a little over I get my share of sage rats...but I need to have the cross hairs changed...they completely obscure a sage rat at that range...I have to offset the hairs one animal's width and put it's feet on the horizontal hair to do any good. shocker lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting concept,but the brake would have to go...as would the scope and the stock.(grin)

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Dumb question?

How do you shoot a rifle scope on a pistol?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read this article and I think it will help explain/answer your question:
http://www.handgunhunt.com/pro...Specialty%20Handguns

Ernie

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Did you right that article XP?

I used to own a XP100 I bought at Rocky Mountain Sports in Riverton a couple years ago in 284.

Did you sell yours?

Had a HSP stock and was Magnaported.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I wrote the article.
That was not my XP, as I fried the barrel on that 284--I shot it that much. Big Grin
Still have the XP and the stock, just a different barrel now.

Ernie

One of Us
Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
For all interested, Ernie is a qaulified expert in using high powered SP's (specialty pistols). I had the pleasure to meet him and several other handgunners in WY last year for an antelope hunt. Not only is he an accomplished hunter (at all ranges) but also an excellent teacher. As stated above he is now assisting Darryl Holland at Hollands long range shooting school in his part time and works with MOA on their long range handgun tournament each year in WY.
Thanks for all of your help Ernie,
nmhunter

Posts: 34 | Location: Goodyear AZ | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom, that was nice.

For the past few weeks I have been out confirming and reconfirming my drop chart for a shoot where I will be responsible on targets out to 1k.
I have enjoyed doing this so much with this XP-100.

I am shooting on steel that is placed 100 yards apart from 200 yards to 1200 yards.

I start at 500 yards after I get the close drops confirmed the first time, as anything closer is sort of boring.

Here is some thoughts from the different times out.
The first date posted was the first time to shoot at these targets and getting a sense of the lay of the land.

How many of you spend time confirming drops?

7-30-2010
Where I am shooting there are some 7", 8", 10" and 12" circle targets and then some square ones (12x12 and maybe one or two is 14x14?).

Using my center-grip XP-100, chambered in 7mm SAUM, with 162 A-Max's @ 2759 fps.
Shooting was prone off of a bi-pod.
Optic is Leupold's Mark 4 FFP 6.5-20 with Holland's ART reticle.
I started at 300 yards and made all first shot connections except at two distances. I missed at 1200 yards (wind) and at 800.
Had a weird wind going on at 800. Found out later there was a stream bed that was fooling me.
My main goal was to confirm my drops for the International Tactical Riflemans Championship.
Most pleasing shot of the morning was at 1100 yards, where I made a center hit-first shot.
Target is a 7" circle.
I plan to go out a couple more times and make sure everything is fine tuned.
Match is 3 weeks from today.

7-31-2010
Went out again today. Wind and mirage was not nearly as friendly.
In other words-more misses.
I was able to see the impact difference between sunny and cloudy though.
There will be a POI change from cloudy to sunny or sunny to cloudy.
Feeling pretty confident out to 700 even with goofy wind.
Did okay at 1K too.
I was spotting for myself, so that was more challenging, as I cannot get back on target to see impacts when I miss.
I knew I was hitting at 1k, but couldn't see where because of the mirage. I assumed I didn't have enough wind. Corrected for more wind then shot one more time. When I went down range, my first two shots were perfect for wind (more vertical than I wanted though) and my third one was toward the left edge.

8-16-2010
Went out again with the the 7SAUM this morning.
No misses (100 yard increments, starting at 500 yards) until I got to 1000.
Then I missed multiple times.
Wind was swirling, changing directions, letting off etc.
With the target being a little larger than MOA, it can humble you quickly--And It Did!

Moved to 1100 and 1200 and did just fine.
Started back at 500, on again.
Then I jumped to 1K and made 2 hits in succession.
The weirdness of wind.
From the shooting position today we had wind from four distant angles while we were shooting.

Ernie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernie

I would like to see a Picture of you at when you site this pistol to see what eye relief
you hold at. I know it is a pistol with a rifle scope.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a video clip from several weeks ago, when I was shooting at steel at 1000 yards:
http://drop.io/8ctxa6l/asset/v...-04-45-3gp?ref=yahoo

Also, here are a few video clips of a 7mm Dakota XP using 200 grain Wildcats at 2700 fps:
http://www.longrangehunting.co...p-100-handgun-36059/

Ernie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ernie , no where near the recoil I thought.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of that is due to Holland's Radial (not the older Quick Discharge) brake.
Excellent brake.
Both XP's have the newer radial brake.

Ernie