Find
Notify
Tools

Best JDJ caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted
What is your favorite JDJ caliber and why.

Life is too short to be taken seriously, it is only temporary and none of us are getting out of it alive.

Posts: 45 | Location: Miltonvale, Kansas | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I vote the 309JDJ, it is very accurate and super easy to form/fireform. I think it can take most anything in North America.

Steve E............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
I vote the 309JDJ, it is very accurate and super easy to form/fireform. I think it can take most anything in North America.

Steve E............

And a lot of stuff in Africa.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a 950? dancing

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
375 JDJ in a Handirifle. Because I built it. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D Humbarger do you have some good loads for your 375 JDJ

Posts: 99 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sorry i missed this post for a while. when I get home I'll look up some loads & post them.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Posted my response in the Single Shot rifle forum.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like the 444 JDJ

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
.309 JDJ. Accurate, deer-killing power out to three hundred yards and a huge variety of bullets to choose from.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like George, I too like the 309 JDJ. Heck, there are some really good ones, especially the 6.5 JDJ. However, the 375 JDJ is probably my favorite. Good deer cartridge with Hornady 220 flat point or 225 sp, and for large game like moose or eland, it's effective using Hornady's 270 grain sp. Plus, you can tackle Africa's Big Five and other dangerous game. The 375 JDJ is tough to beat.

Cheers,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote is a 7x30 JDJ. Light, 21" barrel, G2 frame and a Burris 2x7 short mag. With fire formed 375 Win. brass it is pretty close to Original 7X57 ballistics. In this brush hole I live in it is perfect for anything we have except grizzly bear and I don't plan on using it for that. If I'm attacked I'm better off letting the bear kill me, that would be less punishment than if I killed it!!

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have much input but have just today, picked up a TC with an SSK 375 JDJ barrel. Anxious to see what it will do. Gonna have to start the search for dies, brass and load data.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
14.5mm jdj

1147gr @ 2600 fps uses 50 bmg brass whats not to like

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 JDJ. My most accurate pistol. Best pistol round for 300 yards and under here in Indiana.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI Pago:

I have a 375 JDJ for sale, it was one of my buddies. I have the load data recipe and bullets. Drop me a PM and I will send it on to you when I get home. I also have the Hornady dies and about 20 loaded rounds.

The TC & barrel is in a G1 SS contender with a tough SOB scope mounts and a Simmons scope. JD also has the barrel ported. My buddy says shoots sub MOA at 100 yards and will kill anything on the planet.

Drop me a PM and I will send you the data.

Regards JIm P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
375; hang on with both hands. You will like it; I put a brake on mine as it was a lot to handle. I use the 220 grainers.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 JDJ for small and medium sized game, say up to Caribou. It is quite accurate and gets the job done. I shoot 120gr Ballistic Tips@ 2250fps...perfect for deer.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I want a 6.5 jdj but where do you find 225 brass these days?

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Collins, yes there is a 950 jdj cartridge. There were only 7 or 8 made . McMillan quit making the actions for them. Most weigh in the 90 to 100 pound range with a giant muzzle brake. Mine was the 5th one made and weighs 66 lbs. There is a film of a guy shooting one on you tube. I like the 14.5 mm jdj better. It uses 1173 grain boatail bullets. It can reach out there long range. Mine weighs 34 lbs. Best handgun jdj is the 375 in my book. Obviously not for the smaller game. I ideally hang out on the bigbore forum. But... I love bigbore stomper handguns too. I have a 600 nitro, 460 weather by, 30-378 wby, 50-140, 500 nitro,416 rugby and a 375 h+h all in encore handguns. Don't shoot them as much as I used to. A little arthritis in my hands. But still have fun touching them off now and then.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Meant 416 Rigby

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find the three most useful to be the 6.5, 338 #2, and the 375'JDJ's.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 since it fits and feeds perfectly in this AK-47. The drum magazines hold 30 rounds.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,this sucks.

I thought I had the end all be all of hog killing rifles with an AR in 50 AE that a certain someone in OK built.

faint

Now I shall have to figure out how to get one of these.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I think the Saiga 410 chassis is used for this build.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRumore:
.375 since it fits and feeds perfectly in this AK-47. The drum magazines hold 30 rounds.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Tony,

Please tell us more!!!!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote