Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 120gr Load Data?
 Login/Join

posted
I also posted this in the single-shot pistol forum under reloading, etc. This is my first post, so If I'm breaking protocol or rules about posting, please accept my apologies in advance. Here's the post:

I've been hanging around as a guest for a while, and finally decided to join in the discussion.

I've got someload data on 120gr BTs and 139gr SSTs with Varget, H4895, RE15, etc. I just switched out my .243 Win 15" barrel for a 7mm-08. Primary reason - the .243's 1/10 twist wasn't enough to stabilize anything over 85gr in my barrel, and the 7/08 is 1/9 twist and should offer a better range of medium game bullets.

I'm looking for any data for 120 NBT's that uses H322 or Reloder 10x. I know that it's marketed as a good bench rest powder, and for use with light .308 loads on Alliant's website. Anyone tried it? Any load data?

Any pet loads for my setup? Barrel is a standard 15" T/C stainless.

Thanks in advance.

Deck

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have a blued 15 inch barrel in 7-08 and a good load for mine has been(REDUCE BY 10% AND WORK UP) 39 gr. of IMR 4064 with a Sierra SSPB 130 gr. bullet seated to an over all length of 2.770. Not sure of the velocity but it s going out there pretty good. Accuracy is top notch in mine especially after I recut the crappy factory crown. Hope this helps.

Steve E......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in my striker, i used hornady 139 FB not boattail, and varget.. yeah, sure, it was 200-300fps slower, but 1/2 moa at 200
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. I've actually found some limited data for Re7, and the Alliant rep told me Re10x has similar characteristics to H322, so I figured that there may be some acceptable Re10x loads with bullets on the lighter side. Almost everything I see for most accurate and/or highest velocity for the 7mm-08 is Varget or H4895. Why mess with a good thing, I suppose.

Thanks again.

Deck

posted Hide Post
Actually, Jeffe, I was looking at my box of partitions, and the "boat tail" is decidedly less pronounced than for the SST boat tails. At 140 gr, I'm looking at working up a dozen or so to take out for the weekend to see how they fare. Thanks again for the reply, and I'll let you know. I sighted in the factory Hornady light mags in some wind, so other than 3 MOA, I'm not that confident. I'm much more hopeful in the 120gr NBTs and 139 SSTs I've worked up in the meantime. I'll post the results (but I don't have a chrono).

Deck

one of us
posted Hide Post
My old 7-08 load was 40.0 grains H-4895 with 140 NBT's and then 42.0 H-4895 with 120's.
Safe and very accurate in my XP.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote