THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HAND RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Hand Rifles    Encore Legal Question w/12ga barrel????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore Legal Question w/12ga barrel????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Ok,with a ENCORE Pistol we all use rifle barrels shorter than the current law of 16"..Now remember ,this is the "Encore Pistol" frame ,with pistol grip...So the question is can one take the encore 12ga barrel,say cut to 14" and use it LEGALLY on the said PISTOL FRAME ,Pistol grip??
I am thinking yes,but of Not,Why NOT ? Thx killpc

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minimum legal for a shot gun is 18" not 16"
Handguns such as the Judge are legal because the barrel is rifled.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes I understand that BUT rifles are 16" yet Encore have 14" 30/30 for example...plus the 12ga Encore Slug barrel is also rifled??

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would think that if you were cutting down a rifled shotgun barrel you'd be OK. I am not, however, an attorney or the son of one.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From 18 U.S. Code § 921 - Definitions:

quote:
(5) The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

quote:
(29) The term “handgun” means—
(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

Now, I am not a lawyer, but the way I read it, a 14" rifled 12 gauge barrel mounted on an Encore, Contender, et al. pistol frame (i.e., one that has never been a long gun) would be a legal, non-NFA item.

It was never a rifle or shotgun, has a rifled bore, and it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder, so it wouldn't be a short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.

It wouldn't be an "AOW" because it has a rifled bore, does not have a vertical foregrip, and was not made an existing shotgun.

Look up "atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2" on the BATFE website; it has the various definitions it follows.

Please note that when people ask the BATFE if something is "legal", they invariably declare it unlawful (think of the SiG Brace, which was originally ruled lawful then, when the rubes kept asking, was declared unlawful to shoulder).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the research and reply ! I agree at this point as if it's illegal them should be all the rifle caliber barrels that are used on TC pistol frames... dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanna be confused, come to Canada. You cannot legally cut a shotgun or rifle barrel to less than 18", but if it's manufactured that way, it's Ok, as long as it has an overall length of over 26 " . We've got rifles and shotguns with barrel lenghts as few as 12 " , legal just because the manufacturer built them that way. Confused Can't carry a handgun, so very popular for bear protection.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Thanks for the research and reply ! I agree at this point as if it's illegal them should be all the rifle caliber barrels that are used on TC pistol frames... dancing

You're welcome but you're missing the point of the "use of the single hand" distinction. You can have a handgun with any length barrel.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Agreed....just strange that they don't offer a Encore 20 and 12ga barrel let's say 12 to 14" with rifling for slug hunter with handguns ? Sorta a single barrEl Howdah! Lol

posted Hide Post
Well, there would only be a few buyers for such a barrel.

George

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
ME ME ME! LOL
jumping

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
There is the PGO exemption that "could" apply-
Assuming you bought a new or documented used Encore receiver as ONLY a receiver and it never had a pistol(rifled) barrel on it- then again-- submitting a request letter might work even if it had been barreled before-

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=2982

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents...ippedShotgunLike.pdf

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/testttt20001.pdf

http://i33.photobucket.com/alb...arts/RedactedPg1.jpg

http://s33.photobucket.com/use...redactedPg2.jpg.html

http://shockwavetechnologies.c...03/RedactedPg1_1.jpg

http://shockwavetechnologies.c...03/redactedPg2_1.jpg

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not my expertise but I believe somewhere in the federal code is something that any handgun has to be 50 cal or smaller, that's why the 500 S&W mag is .500 not .510/.512. to go bigger is more federal paperwork and it is classified as AOW. a twelve gauge would be a 72 caliber or so, irrespective of the rifled barrel or not.

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes..I think that nails it..it is OVER 50.cal...a fact I overlooked ! Thanks! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get an AOW stamp. Or use a long enough barrel to make the total length with a pistol grip meet the minimums.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
not my expertise but I believe somewhere in the federal code is something that any handgun has to be 50 cal or smaller, that's why the 500 S&W mag is .500 not .510/.512. to go bigger is more federal paperwork and it is classified as AOW. a twelve gauge would be a 72 caliber or so, irrespective of the rifled barrel or not.

Citation, please. Also, I think you're confusing the "Destructive Device" designation for calibers over .50" (there are sporting exemptions for several cartridges - Robgunbuilder's .600 Overkill for one), with "AOW".

There are .600 Nitro Express handguns out there (Dave Van Horn, Pfeifer Zeliska, et al. have built them).

George