New
Find
Notify
Tools

field conditions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen, I would appreciate suggestions for managing and fireing a too big for offhand, long, heavy, scoped pistol for good deer hunting accuracy under field conditions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gwahir, I use those, what you describe as, long, heavy, scoped handguns for deer hunting. Depends on your method of hunting: I hunt from elevated blinds and use a sandbag off the window ledge. Very solid!
I welded arm rest on home-made ladder stands where I could rest my elbow along with using one of my knees to steady the handgun. This worked well when I was hunting from a ladder stand.
If I found myself sitting by a tree, I would rest the gun off both of my knees placed together.
Open country deer hunting may allow for a backpack to be used as a rest. I also have a home-made "snipers cradle" on a camera tripod that's kinda neat.
Just a few ideas I've employed in the past.
Best of luck with whatever you find that works best for your style of hunting.

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark. This 'pistol' is actually over 26" long, so I could make a detachable buttstock. Works well off the bench the way it is, but need more stability if sitting with my back against a tree.