Ruger #1 handrifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
What do you think of this idea?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it would at least get you a visit from the BATFE.

rotflmo

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The idea doesn't work for me. bsflag Get a TC if you feel the need to do this kind of thing.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
In 458 Lott of course, might as well be a do-all kind of gun!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I saw a dakota 10 like that once I think it was a one of a kind from the factory.
Interesting but I'll pass.
You never know what the'll come up with after all the 1022 now comes in handgun form.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
That looks plain wrong.

Now if it was a howdah, say 577, then it would be interesting Big Grin

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thats a trip to the graybar hotel, do not pass go

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
thats a trip to the graybar hotel, do not pass go

.....not necessarily, if the barrel is 16 inches plus and total length is 26 inches plus it would be legal. Hard to tell in the pic but it might make those requirements. Whether it would be worth having is another question.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I think that it needs a burial, sent it to me , and I will see that it is taken care of properly!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Looks like a donor action to me.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1567 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like three-to-five from here!

Rich
Pistols into rifles, not the other way around!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a purely mechanical viewpoint it looks awkward. In an 06 case and above it looks painful.

Heed the advice previously given about legality.
Being retired from law Enforcement, I can accurately say that any action coming from any factory designated as a rifle shall and forever more remain a rifle. Its been that way for better than 60 years!
I have made a number of bolt action handguns using UN- designated Savage actions. On those pretty yellow forms one fills out when purchasing you have three choice boxes to check. Rifle,handgun,undesignated! Undesignated works for transferring the action from FFL to FFL. As a consumer one must check one of the other two boxes. If one checks handgun he can make it into a handgun without shoulder stock. If one puts a shoulder stock on the handgun designated action he has officially and semi-legally ( paperwork)made it into a rifle and legally can not reverse the process.

Normally I would say," just an opinion" and sign off. Except this is the Law not an opinion and would encourage the poster or those in the power, to remove the picture to protect the poster and this forum.

Neal

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Additional clarification from the ATF might be in order if one was considering such a project, as at one time Brownells inventoried Ruger #1 barreled actions.

The "new" form 4473 question #18 with the instructions for it

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to post this picture Bryan.
When I buy my undesignated actions I check both the handgun and the receiver boxes as that is what my FFL friend has found best for when he calls the transaction in on the hotline. I have never given the caliber because most times I do not know so I check the handgun box because I do intend to make it into a handgun.

The last time I called ATF, Adam Galbreath was the Chief in charge for all ATF regarding these laws. His words to me is he is where the buck stops. He further stated that many field offices will not know the correct interpretation but all personel in his office can and will send each of us upon written request a letter indicating the inside on what is legal and not legal. I have been asked not to publish Adam direct number is. However Jim Briggs at Northland shooters supply 763-682-4296 and I have both spoken with Adam and others in his office a number of times making sure that we could legally build a handgun from a factory undesignated action.

Bottom line: If it came from the factory designated as a long gun its a federal felony to cut the stock off and make it into a handgun.
One will go to jail if caught and loose his or her civil rights forever since it involved a firearm. There are NO fees or paperwork available to make it different when going from a rifle to a handgun. Give Jim a call, its his livelyhood so he can't afford to make mistakes.

Neal

Neal

One of Us
Picture of Wheelchair Bandit
posted Hide Post
The lever would turn your fingers into hamburger during recoil on the hard kickers.Anyone who has ever shot a hard kicking T/C Contender or Encore can attest to this.A #1 would be considerably worse.

But if that's what turns a guy's crank.....

"It's frustrating that we have callers to C-SPAN that know more about what's going on than Larry King, and more about economics than Obama and McCain combined."-Rush Limbaugh

Posts: 50 | Location: Obviously you're not a golfer | Registered: 22 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would differ with the comment above that theere is no fees or paperwork that would allow the alteration pictured above.

Federal ATF Form 1 with payment of $200 making tax) would allow (provided the state law allows) the person to make a Short Barrel Rifle. This would be weapon made from a rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches and/or an overall length of less than 26 in so yes this item could be be legal.

One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
The short barreled rifle would be able to be manufactured if it were made by a Title 2 manufacturer from jump street.
You cannot alter an existing weapon into a title 2 piece. Not transferable. Taxes and such would make the project cost prohibitive, just get and TC encore and go with it. Also when you but a receiver as such the LEGAL way to havdle the piece is when you make final assembly the person has to pay an exise tax 10% handgun, 11% long gun to the ATF. If you do not have a record of such payment you still have an illegal firearm. JM2CW as a Title 2 Dealer.

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry this information is just wrong. A Form 1 allows someone who is not a manufacturer to make a weapon (a suppressor, short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun or DD)from a Title 1 firearm. It requires the fingerprints, photographs, law enforcement sign off and payment of a 200 dollar making tax.

I have been a Class 3 dealer and have owned Class 3 item and and made items on the Form 1.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the legal stuff aside...when you cropped the photo you also removed the stock bolt. You would have to come up with another way to attach the grip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom line: If it came from the factory designated as a long gun its a federal felony to cut the stock off and make it into a handgun.
One will go to jail if caught and loose his or her civil rights forever since it involved a firearm. There are NO fees or paperwork available to make it different when going from a rifle to a handgun. Give Jim a call, its his livelyhood so he can't afford to make mistakes.

Wrong. Perhaps in addition to posting a claim, you could post a link to the law that supports your claim?

I can turn a rifle into a short barreled rifle by paying a $200 tax and registering it on an ATF from 1. I can add a pistol grip and turn it into a pistol (registered as an SBR) the same way. It is a routine procedure.

http://www.atf.gov/publication...d/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf page 88 subpart E

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote