THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HAND RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Hand Rifles    Which scope for the 375 Win
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope for the 375 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
I have two Burris pistol scopes; one straight 5X and a 3-12. Does the 375Win in the 14" Contender generate enough recoil to bother the variable? Do you think the 5X would be tougher than the variable? I may be shooting to 300 yds for deer. I'd rather leave the 5X on the 30-30 barrel it sits on right now and don't have a problem removing the 3-12 from its 222 barrel.

What do you guys have on your heavy recoiling handguns?

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Louis,
i have Burris 3x12's on my 50 alaskan and 357HH both 15"SSk barrels

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks airtoad, That is just what I wanted to hear. The 3-12 is going on the 375 barrel tonight.

God Bless and Merry Christmas, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something wrong here. A 3-12 scope on a short range cartridge? I have to ask why?? I use mostly straight 4x Leupold on most of my scoped handguns and just 2 have variables, one is a B&L Elite 2x-6x and the other a Leupold 2.5x-8x and they are on my 7mm Rem Mag 15" bbl and 310GNR 15" bbl....real long range shooters and even 8x is a bit of scope overkill. I shot plenty of medium sized game to nearly 300yds with the 4x Leupolds without any issues. Besides, the fixed are tougher scopes with less moving parts and less likely to fail to hold zero. Just my opinion of course.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
My 5X scope is on a 30-30 barrel that has been there for many years and I hate to even think about moving it. The 3-12 is on a 222 barrel that I haven't even shot in the last year so I don't mind moving it. Just because it goes to 12 power doesn't mean that I will have it there. I don't have time to get another scope before my trip so the 3X12 will do for now. I was a little concerned about the extra moving parts. I agree that less power, I like the 5X for big game, is generally plenty. I definitely like the higher powers for smaller vermin. Your opinion is pretty much spot on Woodrow.

God Bless, Louis