Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15" Encore Brl. in 300 H&H
 Login/Join

posted
I am considering a 15 Heavy .997 brl with Muzzle Tammer for my Encore frame. I have the Pachmayr Grip & Forend. Always wanted a gun in this caliber even though old-school. How bad will it be to shoot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never fired a .300 H & H. Having said that, I have fired a 15" .308 with the Muzzle Tamer. The darn thing was so ungodly loud that I was forced to wear ear plugs under my electronic muffs. My ears still rang for days. I had to have the brake removed in order to use the gun. I have no idea as to what the recoil would be for the .300, but the .308 is not bad.
The whole problem was the volume caused by the brake,
Good luck, and keep us informed.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I've shot a 300WSM in a Striker, with and without brake. I didn't think the recoil was that bad. I know some guys that are shooting a 300 Win Mag in Encores without any trouble. I say "Go for it"

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob96,

I have the following all have brakes on them:

416 Taylor 15"
416 Remington Mag 15"
375 H&H 15"
458 LOTT 16"
470 CAPSTICK 16"
300 WIN MAG 15"

I have shot all of them at one time or another but if I shoot anymore than 20-25 rounds at one session than I start to be bother with the recoil. Except for the 300 Win can shoot it all day with no problems.

So as long as the brake works you shouldn't have a issue.

Good luck,

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by borntohunt:
Hi Bob96,

I have the following all have brakes on them:

416 Taylor 15"
416 Remington Mag 15"
375 H&H 15"
458 LOTT 16"
470 CAPSTICK 16"
300 WIN MAG 15"

I have shot all of them at one time or another but if I shoot anymore than 20-25 rounds at one session than I start to be bother with the recoil. Except for the 300 Win can shoot it all day with no problems.

So as long as the brake works you shouldn't have a issue.

Good luck,

BTH,

Man you're just maso. that's all their is to it!
I've got a .411JDJ, a .41Whammy, a .500S&W, and for a brief time, a .416Rigby all in pistol length barrels. After awhile, the good times don't role shooting monster cartridges in handguns at my age anymore. If'n I was more sprigh, we'd have to take a day off to shoot them.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote