New
Find
Notify
Tools

444 Marlin Pistol Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol chambered in 444 Marlin, and I have not reloaded for a pistol before. It is a rotary breech, so I assume it can handle some fairly high-pressure loads.

What would be a good type of powder to use in this 13" barrel and work up with? Would I want something faster to increase energy from the short barrel length?

I want to use anywhere from 200gr up to 300gr bullets and approach maximums in the pistol.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 25 | Location: Ottawa, IL | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M Marshall; it has been a lot of years, but in 1980 I sent my TC super 14, 44 mag barrel to JD Jones in Ohio, he rechambered to 444 marlin and recrowned it for the sum of 80.00. I shot a ton of reloads thru it, both cast and jacketed and used IMR 4198 powder, didn't have a chrono then so have no idea about velocities, but accuracy was good.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
My only big bore pistol would be the 45-70 in a Contender. If loading a real smasher I would look at Oregon Trails. I believe it would be a 300 gr flat nosed bullet on 0.430". They are super hard and should not lead the barrel. I am looking for a Super Redhawk load with that bullet but haven't had the time. Good luck. Packrattusnongratus A P.S. here. Try the 265 gr Hornady for a factory hard bullet. As you probably know it is designed for the 444 rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to push a strong action like this, with 13" barrel, so that I achieve levergun velocities? For instance 45-70 can be loaded way hotter in a #1 than say a 1895 Marlin. Being that this action is probably as strong as a #1, couldn't I push the pistol load so that it neared the lower end of what is doable in a rifle? Like 3000ft-lbs?

Posts: 25 | Location: Ottawa, IL | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what's possible. I have seen 416 rigby rifle barrels and 375 H&H. I don't know if powders are available to get that velocity safely in short barrels. Be safe and good luck. Packy

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well I shoot a 444 Rifle that I hand load for.. you boys handling that in a pistol are my betters, that is for darn sure...

In the rifle, I find that cast bullet loads are more than adequate.. I pretty much shoot the 300 grain XTP, as I think it is the most effective bullet for that round.. penetration beating the 265 in my book, especially at lower velocities...

444 bullets are not that aerodynamic... you don't give up much point blank range when they have an MV of 1750 or so with the 300 grain XTP, as opposed to pumping it up to 2100 or so with a heavier load of slower powder like 4198...

you give up about 10 to 15 yds or point blank range.. and about a 50% reduction in recoil...

SR 4759, SR 4756, Blue Dot, Unique, SR 7625, 2400 all are good powders for the 444....

and 444s are just plain accurate!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote