New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore.338 Federal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Let's see some load data, holes in paper, game on the ground.
That should be a great tool for all of those field functions.
If one had 338 Federal in an Encore they could handle most everything in the lower 48 . . .
Though they may be slightly undergunned for prairie dogs.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got the barrel yesterday. Going to shoot some Federal 185 gr factory stuff and see how it does first. I plan on loading some Barnes 185 gr TTSX to use on most stuff around here. I would imagine it would be quite effective for most plains game in Africa too

Posts: 759 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am having a XP 100R built in 338Federal

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .338 JDJ Contender. It's ballistics are identical to the .338 Federal. The Barnes 185 gr. TSX has been my go to bullet for many years. 200 gr. Hornadys don't shoot as flat as these, but are fairly destructive and accurate out to 200-250. 200 gr. BT/BST do very good, too, especially in the accuracy dept.
Heavier bullets did not do well in my handgun.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 246 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote