New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Bullberry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody shooting a 6.5 Bullberry(or other bullberry)? I assume it's just a 30-30 necked down? Any info or stories, are appreciated!

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Do a search for Bobby Tomek...

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5 based on the 30-30 w/ a sharper shoulder (it was the 7mm intl rimmed necked down). The barrel started as a 6.5 tcu and was re-chamberred.

On the up side, accuracy was 1/2" at 3 shots at 100 yds with 120 gr bt's. Also on the upside velocity was on par with the 6.5 jdj, while burning a few grains less powder.

On the down side, no matter what I did to form cases, after three firings the cases would have the tell tale ring of case/head seperation, so had to be tossed.

It's a neat round, but I think you'd have to go to 375 Win brass to keep from loosing them every 3 firings.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Paul-

I remember your 6.5. It was the Grassle, right?

I think perhaps you had a die that overworked the brass, a chamber that was beyond spec or perhaps a thin lot of brass. Or perhaps it was a combination of factors.

In my 6.5 Bullberry IMP (aka 6.5x30-30 AI), I am getting completely normal case life other than a few neck splits from one particular small lot of brass. I have not had a split neck from any other lot, and if memory serves, I think most have had 11-12 full-house firings through them. (The splits with the one lot occurred at 6 to 7 firings. I have since pitched the remainder of those 20 cases.)

In my 7mm Bullberry, which is the 7mm Int'l Rimmed with the unnecessarily long neck trimmed back to give a case length of 1.75", one lot of brass has seen either 24 or 25 firings without a single lost case.

I have never experienced a case separation in either after many, many rounds sent downrange.

I am using Redding dies for both of these and do a partial FL size when loading.

I've tried .375 brass but never saw any real-world benefit.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9329 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add: NMpistolero and I have corresponded via PMs, and he's researched the info he was looking for.

Here's hoping to see some targets and kill pictures from him soon... thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9329 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I've had a 15" 6.5 Bullberry Contender barrel since early '04' and it's one of my barrels that "just ain't going nowhere". Smiler

The load below shoots extremely well....haven't harvested any game with the barrel but did win my class at the IHMSA State Championship just a few years back with a perfect score of 60x60.

Winch. 30-30 brass....WLR primers....27.0 grs. of IMR4895....Hornady 129gr # 2620....OAL 2.861.

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ike-

A perfect 60 is awesome...and a belated congrats is in order.

I have several hunting loads that I am using. My current is the Hornady 129 grain SP ahead of 37.5 grains N160 in a 1:8, 26" MGM barrel. N160 has become my go-to powder for this one as it is extremely consistent and gives me velocities better than anything else I have tried so far.

Unfortunately, N160 is almost impossible to find in my part of the state (Sportsman's Warehouse carried it but they have since closed) , and I am not fond of those hazmat fees... Frowner

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the replies! I used to hunt a lot with a 30-30 contenderthen "graduated" to an 308 encore when they came out. Although I killed some critters with it I developed a flinch due to the fact that the frame was too big for my hands. After that I started using muzzleloaders and rifles more again. Well not too long ago I was at the range and noticed a piece of brass on the ground, when iI picked it up I could see it was a 30-30 case necked down to .25 (I think)with a sharp shoulder. Well that got me to thinking about my pistols and wanting to start using them again. Broke out the 223 and now starting to think about new barrels! I am kinda torn between the 30-30AI due to using factory rounds- leverrevolution perhaps? and the 6.5/30-30 for the perfect(I think)SSP bullet selection. Any way Thanks for the replies & keep your experiences coming!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several 30-30 based calibers in the contender,,all are good..just about perfect at contender pressures. I have a 6.5 Bullberry , 7-30 Waters, 30-30AI and a .35 Bullberry, I have had a 6mm and 257 Bullberry as well. The Bullberry barrels are extremly accurate. The ones with the improved chamber have much longer case life than those with the longer tapered design in my experiance. The 7-30 Waters and the 30-30AI barrels are factory offerings and have proven very accurate as well. I have had the 7-30 W for over 35 years and have taken a lot of game with it, including some deer and antelope out at extended ranges. The 35 cal Bullberry was my first costom barrel some 30 years ago and it is a GOOD one. The 30-30 AI is about as good and versatile as it gets in the contender and mine shoots factory ammo very well and has seen its share of time in the deer woods. The 6.5 has taken prarie dogs out well past 300 yards and is a flat shootin son of a gun..kills deer quite well also. Aint no flies on the lot of them and would be pretty hard to pick just one.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
shortgun wrote:
quote:
Aint no flies on the lot of them and would be pretty hard to pick just one.

I agree wholeheartedly! thumb

Another plus with wildcats based on the 30-30 case and kept to Contender-safe pressures is that I have never found the need to anneal brass. One batch of my 7mm Bullberry brass is either at 24 or 25 firings and still going strong, with ample neck tension and snug primer pockets.

And while I like them all -- even the lesser known versions such as the 7mm International Rimmed -- I do have to admit that the 7mm Bullberry and 6.5 Bullberry IMP are my favorites and have served me extremely well.

Now, due to some some extreme pain and weakness I am enduring in my hands, I have been forced to shift gears and use carbine/rifle-length Contenders. But it turns out I am enjoying these as much as the pistol versions. Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby

Your right about the brass..I have had both the 7-30 and 35 Bullberry for over 30 years and still have some of the original brass for both. The 7-30 is a little harder on brass as it tends to streach a little if you run it a bit hard..but i still get a dozen or so firings from it. The 35 bullberry brass lasts forever no matter what I make it from and the need to trim is rare for this case. I have it in both pistol and carbine length and it has been a good round for me,,one of my favorites. If I would have to choose one for all things however I would most likely go with the 30-30AI as it shoots a bit flatter and can run factory 30-30 ammo in a pinch and shoots it very well. The brass gets many firings as well but a bit less than the 35. The 30-30AI is my newest barrel and is a young 15 years old..prolly only tossed out a dozen cases in that time. On a side note I also have a 257 TCU on the 223 case with a Ackley style 40 degree shoulder that is easy on brass. I guess I like those type of cases.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby

Your right about the brass..I have had both the 7-30 and 35 Bullberry for over 30 years and still have some of the original brass for both. The 7-30 is a little harder on brass as it tends to streatch a little if you run it a bit hard..but i still get a dozen or so firings from it. The 35 bullberry brass lasts forever no matter what I make it from and the need to trim is rare for this case. I have it in both pistol and carbine length and it has been a good round for me,,one of my favorites. If I would have to choose one for all things however I would most likely go with the 30-30AI as it shoots a bit flatter and can run factory 30-30 ammo in a pinch and shoots it very well. The brass gets many firings as well but a bit less than the 35. The 30-30AI is my newest barrel and is a young 15 years old..prolly only tossed out a dozen cases in that time. On a side note I also have a 257 TCU on the 223 case with a Ackley style 40 degree shoulder that is easy on brass. I guess I like those type of cases.

shortgun

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
Shortgun I was hoping you'd stumble across this topic and chime in.

I always enjoy your pictures Bobby....I didn't realize you have or had a 7mm Intrl.-R barrel, when I finally get around to shooting mine I may pick your brain a little.

I've got three 14" Contender barrels and dies sitting here plus a centergrip XP-100 in 7mm BR, that I picked up early and late last year, that I haven't found time to scope and shoot yet....the barels are in 223 AI, 6mm JDJ #2, and the 7mm Intrl.-R.

With unemployment the way it is now I'm in no way complaining but I've been working 9 to 10 hours a day five days a week plus half a day on Saturdays for over eighteen months so when Sunday finally does roll around it's pretty much catching up on things around the house and honey-do's.....just not much time left over for shooting.

Bobby with my current work schedule I may just have to pack up those three barrels and send them to you and Fred to pet load for me. Smiler

Ike

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
shortgun-

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your brass observations mirror mine. Of course, some folks will tell you that if you don't anneal to begin with and after every few firings that the brass will immediately fail... Roll Eyes

IKE-

Here's hoping you get some shooting time in REAL soon. It helps maintain one's sanity, though my wife will tell you I lost that many years ago... Big Grin

The 7mm International Rimmed was one of my first Contender wildcats and is one of the barrels I have never parted with. It sits in the back of the safe. I haven't shot it much in the last 10 years or so, and with my current health problems, I don't see myself shooting anytthing than carbines any time soon, either. But I keep saying that someday I will dust it off and shoot it a bit again -- and maybe pop one of these area piggies with it.

The last time I did, those originals loads -- Hornady 120 grain SSP and H335 for right at 2400 fps -- still shot well, and the zero was still like I left it. I actually used the Hornady 120 grain SP instead of the SSP for the hog in the photo I posted, but it is too stout for most game applications and forced me to shoot for bone, though I must say it did a good job and dropped the sow on the spot in this instance.

Ike, I know you were joking about developing a load for you, but if you get in a bind, I'd be honored to do so -- no charge at all. A few years ago, when a hurricane ravaged part of the country, a guy whose job was turned into 14-hour-a-day drudgery by Mother Nature was afraid he wouldn't have a load worked up for hunting season, which was fast approaching.

So I got his 20" Herrett barrel all set, which was easy to do as it proved to be a real tack-driver. When he got it back, he loaded up a few rounds with my data, put the barrel back onto his frame and had once chance to go to the range to confirm the zero.

A few weeks later, I had a yellow tag in my PO box. I went inside the office, and I had a package from this gentleman.

He sent me a couple venison steaks and a perfectly-mushroomed 125 grain BT, which meant more to me than any monetary amount ever could have.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
You're right my friend I was joking but I also know you weren't with your kind offer....you are a true gentleman Bobby, thank you.

Ike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike

I know what you mean about the employment thing..I am fixin to retire shortly and the shootin fund will be severly cut..but I am preparing as best I can. Getting lots of ammo loaded and stocking up on supplies as the funds allow...current prices are brutal. Gonna have to sell off a bunch of stuff and only keep the very favorite ones. Then I am gonna have lots of time to shoot. If you wanna me to find pet loads for yer stuff you just gonna haveta bring them out here and hang out till the job is finished..ya could sleep in the gun shop and work on the loading bench all nite and shoot all day...sounds like a good time to me pard.

Fred

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
You're right Fred....sleeping in a gun shop, reloading all night & shooting all day sounds darn good....it just couldn't get much better than that. Smiler

At 59 1/2 yrs. old I guess I'm already a "Senior Citizen" but if my health doesn't get any worse hopefully retirement is a few years off for me yet....that is unless one of my two $1.00 a week lottery tickets would hit soon. Smiler

Ike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ike

Ya could buy one of them loto tickets for me and if ya win just spend it all on guns and loading supplies...save enough for a round trip and then bring it all out here and bring Bobby along and us old geezers will have us a good time. Don't forget to bring along some annealing equipment for Bobby's 6.5 BB. Then we can shoot a lot more.

Shortgun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would never buy a a factory Contender barrel for a rimmed case unless it was a hell of a buy. Contender cuts the rim inset to max SAAMI spec. that leaves the rear of the case in a hole by 4-6/1000". Add to that,the gap(?) between the firering pin bushing and rear of barrel and you start out with excessive headspace. The custom barrel makers cut the inset so the case is flush or if they have the action to work with,right on the bushing. The only way you can remove the excess is to cut back the rear of the barrel(10/1000")so the rear of the case is above the face of the barrel and then shim under the bushing to take up the gap. I think the only rim case that you would not need to cut the barrel is a cases on the 45-70 as the rim is larger than the bushing and only need shimmed. If you think I have my head up my Obama go the the Bellm site and read on how to correct headspace. http://www.bellmtcs.com/

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote