Find
Notify
Tools

Back and forth
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
How many of you are kind of bandwagon guys?

I owned several several Contender pistols, a couple XP-100 pistols. And a host of other good big revolvers.

My only current hunting pistol is a .41 Magnum Ruger blackhawk.

I want to get back into XP-100 type pistols again. Ideally I'd like a 6mm BR, a 250 Savage, a 30 or 7mm caliber in the 308-30-06 power ranger, and a 358 Winchester or 338 Federal.

What is the best way to go about this without spending $3000 on each of them?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use McGowen barrels, get a pinned lug and get a switch barrel XP.
If you want a rear grip, the McRee all-aluminum stock is a great way to go for the money.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Or how about a Savage Striker pistol, action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and whatever drop in barrels you want? Could probably do one receiver, and most all of the calibers you listed together for less than 3K.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
What stocks do you guys like best?

I have had 2 with HS Precision, but they are kind of pinchy in the web of my hand.

I have not felt a laminate or thumbhole one.

I really only like the center grip kind.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I modify the H-S and open up the area where the top part of the knuckle of my thumb (where hand meets thumb) so it doesn't smack.
I love the grip of the H-S, but the strength of the McMillan is better.
I found out during the SHOT Show that H-S would fill the stock solid, if you request it-I would do that from this point forward.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Ok,

I'll order a McMillan when I get back from Australia in 2014.

I found a nice HS P 2000 and I am surely tempted. I think it would be a fun one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a laminate centergrip for Shooting,but prefer a reargrip repeater for Hunting.

I'd make the concession to go McMillan reargrip,if only to afford the luxury of rounds in the belly and an empty chamber.

7-08 a given.