Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby Encore
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted

I honestly thought this was built on a dare. Found it on Gunbroker and after my check cleared (AFTER)... the seller called and explained the recoil. I have a 629PD (Scandium Framed .44 Mag) That gun kicks. I thought this one would kill me. I'm still alive and the brake is very effective. You know you're shooting something significant, but it's not too awful bad.
Picked it up with 2 boxes of shells, RCBS Dies, Loopy scope, TSOB rings and bases and a soft case for $1K. Any one in Upstate NY want's to stop by and pull the trigger is welcome.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh, my my!

Bring that thing to Idaho and we'll wring it out.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collins - If you get the chance please run a few rounds over a chrony to see what it's doing and post it. I would like to compare it to my 416GNR and 450GNR Encore barrels, both on a necked down (very short neck) 50 Alaskan case. I am always interested in case powder capacity vs powder burning efficiency.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Collins - If you get the chance please run a few rounds over a chrony to see what it's doing and post it. I would like to compare it to my 416GNR and 458GNR Encore barrels, both on a necked down (very short neck) 50 Alaskan case. I am always interested in case powder capacity vs powder burning efficiency.

Woody

Will do...

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you get tired of that big dog, be sure and contact me first.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That big dog must have had a pretty big bite. Looking forward to a range report of sorts. Curious on how it would perform relative the the 416GNR on the necked down 50 Alaskan case. On the shorter barrels, sometimes you don't get much extra other than muzzle flash from the excess powder burning past the muzzle. IS, did you happen to get this boomer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is cool. I saw a .416 Encore pistol on you tube or google video that was built without a muzzle break. It is hilarious watching the guy get his hand tore up. reflex264

Posts: 78 | Location: TN | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:

I honestly thought this was built on a dare. Found it on Gunbroker and after my check cleared (AFTER)... the seller called and explained the recoil. I have a 629PD (Scandium Framed .44 Mag) That gun kicks. I thought this one would kill me. I'm still alive and the brake is very effective. You know you're shooting something significant, but it's not too awful bad.
Picked it up with 2 boxes of shells, RCBS Dies, Loopy scope, TSOB rings and bases and a soft case for $1K. Any one in Upstate NY want's to stop by and pull the trigger is welcome.

So what's the results of the test? This thread has been quiet, so did the gun kill him on the first shot? Big Grin

I'd be curious to the felt recoil. A friend as the S&W 329PD scandium .44 Mag. (I think it was a typo in the original post as the 629 is the stainless version). The 329 isn't a lot of fun to shoot but can be handled. I'd be interested in an Encore big thumper as a potential cape buffalo gun for a future hunt. (The main gun I plan on using for that hunt is a SRH .480 Ruger w/ 400 gr. cast GC)

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
You are correct, it's a 329 and the recoil is much worse than the Rigby. Everyone wants to shoot it, but only after they watch it NOT lay me out. I'll post a video (comparing the two) If I make it home before dark sometime this week.

Collins

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Regular speed and Hi Speed Video of the recoil of various handguns from the .22 LR to the .416 Rigby (22lr, 5.7FN, 9mm, 357 Mag, 40S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, and 416 Rigby)
The 357 was by far the worst. the speed of the recoil is amazing and painful. Even in hi-speed mode it's hard to see how fast it recoils (filmed in the Backyard of Science)

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comparison. Is the .357 Mag one of those S&W340PD's? The same friend with the 329 has one of those, too. It's not a whole lot of fun, similar to what you've experienced in the video. But the 329 feels worse in my hands due to the way grip hits the joint at the base of my thumb. Those are definitely guns to carry alot, and shoot a little, at least with the full-house stuff.

What are the specifics regarding the .416 (bullet weight, velocity)?

Thanks again.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
.416 was Hornady Factory 400 Gn lead round nose (#8266) box claims 2415fps probably from 24"

All carts were factory loads.

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who built that .416 Rigby barrel?

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know what the velocity is of the 416 Rigby from the short barrel with that much powder to see what the efficiency of the burn is. In the next few weeks I will post the velocity of my own 416GNR and 450GNR cartridges in Encore 13" + 2" MB barrels. They are 50 Alaskan cases necked down.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'll see what I can do this weekend... I don't need a lot of reasons to go shoot

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking I want a Contender barrel in .458 Win. Mag, or Lott. But I'm not sure why. Something akin to: "Set your beer down and come over here. I have something I want you to shoot."

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, you'll be looking for an Encore, not a Contender. The Contender frame won't take that level of cartridge. The Encore frame will. Still not sure if MY FRAME (me, I mean) would be able to take it!

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I think the 416 is a low pressure cart. the 458's are med-high. I was asking about a 375 Ruger and was told TC wanted to make it but wouldn't because of the pressure. IIRC

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never considered it in terms of practical application, design, pressure specs, frame capacity. I just sit around contemplating the wild hares and my butt.

I wonder if we could get something cobbled together in a 50 BMG? dancing

posted Hide Post
I took a 1800 pound buffalo at 137yrds with a oncore in 416 rem mag 15"a 1500 pound moose with a oncore in 338 win mag with 15' barrel,and
several elk ,deer and hogs with a incore in 405 winchester 15".The oncore is very strong and very managable when set up correctly.I alsohave a oncore 15"in 50-110,now thats a rush...

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if we could get something cobbled together in a 50 BMG? dancing

I'm in!

Add "50 BMGer" to my signature line

Collins

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
All I can say is COOL!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, while that is a cool looking pistol, it is likely that a cartridge with half the powder capacity may come so close to duplicating the performance that it isn't worth the flash and recoil. The expansion ratio has to be awful. I would bet that half the powder burns outside the barrel (when you consider the porting).

With break actions, you have to consider backthrust along with pressure. A Rigby case head is really big, so backthrust is high even at moderate pressures. I doubt the gun can take much above factory pressures.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I shoot it over the chrony as soon as it stops snowing Wink If it comes close to the published velocity minus 50 FPS per inch it would indicate some efficiency.

Collins

Collins

posted Hide Post
Art S: I'm puzzled by your back-thrust comment. Case thrust is a function of pressure and area. Pounds over area. The larger the case head with equal pressures nets a lower thrust, not higher.

50,000psi/.500 in(2) = 100,000 pounds/inch (2)
50,000psi/.250 in(2) = 200,000 pounds/inch (2)

Posts: 6 | Location: Vacaville CA | Registered: 26 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a really nice looking gun. And I loved the video.
I have a Contender with a 12" barrel in 45-70 that is all I want off the bench. A couple 5 shot groups is all I can stand at a time.
I do wonder, why did they mount the scope base backwards on that Encore?

Posts: 31 | Location: Western West Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg M727:
Art S: I'm puzzled by your back-thrust comment. Case thrust is a function of pressure and area. Pounds over area. The larger the case head with equal pressures nets a lower thrust, not higher.

50,000psi/.500 in(2) = 100,000 pounds/inch (2)
50,000psi/.250 in(2) = 200,000 pounds/inch (2)

Are you sure about that?

The 50,000 lbs pressure is applied to every part of the surface, every part of every square inch..the same all over the inside of the chamber..

It is not a tiny capsule of pressure which is then divided up to cover the whole area.

So, the more surface you have with 50,000 PSI being applied to every part of it, the greater the total thrust against the standing breech of the Contender.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok, then thrust is independent of case head size. 50KSI is 50KSI applied to the system, whether it's a rotating joint like a Contender or whether it's a falling block breech. Doesn't matter if it's a .223 or a .416 Rigby.

Posts: 6 | Location: Vacaville CA | Registered: 26 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
PSI TIMES area equals total pressure.
1PSI over 10 Square inches = 10 pounds of pressure
50,000 psi over a half a square inch = 25,000 pounds of pressure

Collins

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I know a guy up here who had a 470 NE encore handgun built, never got a chance to shoot it.

I agree the 357 scandium has to be the most sadistically painful handgun ever made. I was even stupid enough to fire the whole cylinder.

A hot loaded 4 5/8" 500 linebaugh with 460 gr bullets was childs play in comparison.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote