THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HAND RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Hand Rifles    Finally got to shoot my .470 NE Encore pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got to shoot my .470 NE Encore pistol
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally got to shoot my new to me Virgin Valley 470 NE barrel on my Encore pistol frame. 16" full bull with a very effective muzzle tamer actually puts it on par with a stout 30-06 load using Pachmayr decelerator grip. My .500S+W with TC factory break and 500gr. bullets actually recoils much more abruptly. I was truly surprised at how controllable the barrel is and how little muzzle rise their was with the break, especially considering I was shooting 500gr. Woodleighs. It recoils upward much less than either of my .375jdjs do, or my .375-06jdj. I may have to try it on deer this year using some .475 hard cast pistol bullets!!! Pics to follow shortly!!!

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yeah, bring on the photos!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that's the same barrel I was going to take on my buffalo hunt. Was going to do some video of a hunt for Virgin Valley and used a 470 nitro barrel. Chrono'd the 500 grain xlc's at 1850. Shot it 8 times and cried Uncle. Ended up using a 338 instead.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it recoiled less (mainly due to the excellent brake) than my TC factory .500 S+W with TC's muzzle tamer and 500gr. factory loads! Still stout, but my wrist didn't hurt after the first shot!!!

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there a video on You Tube of a Guy shooting a 470 encore pistol and it going by his head as it left the shooting area?

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was one of a .416 Rigby, might be one of a .470 as well... Regardless, I thought it much more controllable with less violent recoil than my .500 S+W Encore pistol barrel when loaded with the same weight bullets likely due to shooting fairly quick burning powder in the S+W vs. slower burning rifle powder in the .470...

One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
the one your thinking abt on u tube was a 600NE in an encore pistol tat guys nuts what next 50 bmg????? brian

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote