Find
Notify
Tools

T/c Contender Owners...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Looks like tonight I'm getting one in .44 mag. I'd love to get a .30-30, .357, .45-70, and .35 rem barrel for it.

Thanks all for fueling the fire...I am pretty excited to be picking this thing up

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around 35 years ago I had a Contender, with a 10" 44 Mag barrel, a 14" 7mm TCU barrel, a 14" 30/30 barrel and a 10" 22 K Hornet barrel.

I also killed an antelope with a 10" 30 Herrett Contender that a buddy had...

I found the Contender to be very accurate, and a fun gun to hunt with.

I sold it because I am just not a "Scoped Hand Rifle" kind of guy.

But the Contender was a great system.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday

Get the 30-30 or 7mm Waters, 45-70 and then get a 357 Mag and rechamber to 357 Max. The Max can be downloaded (38 SPL or 357 Mag too) and will come close to 35 performance also.

22 LR is a great addition also. My Older version 10" octagon 22LR is minute of squirrels eye off of bags at 50 yards with some old match ammo. 1/2 minute of squirrels head at 50 with Aguila std and high velocity.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, a bit confused now.
I'm thinking of picking up an older Contender in .357 mag that we have in the shop.
I've heard that the G2 barrel will fit the old contender frame. But when I called Thompson Contender, they told me that it will not fit, and they no longer supply barrels for the older frames.
So, if i do get this one, I'm wanting a .30-30 Win. super 14 barrel for it.
Suggestions?

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There isn't a G2 barrel as the barrels are all the same and will work on the older models or the G2. I think the one exception to this is the muzzleloader barrels as I believe they only work on the G2 frames.

They may have been thinking Encore vs. Contender as the barrels between those frames are not compatible...

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
G2 Muzzleloader barrel has a pin that prevents the use of the barrel on the old standard contender frame.

It was explained to me that the G@ has far fewer moving parts than the standard and thus they felt muzzleloader blow back was less likely to cause damage to internal mechanism.

I bought a new one off the net many years ago and it sets in the safe still unfired as I do not have a G2 frame.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote