New
Find
Notify
Tools

3006 in a 15" barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How does it compare to a, 708,4570,445sm (10") as for as recoil range and accuracy? I got a good deal on one ( didnt look too close was sold as a 308 nib, this one is nib). Should I go ahead and shoot it or try to trade it for another? Thanks in advance....lost

Posts: 25 | Location: nc | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lostchild1:
How does it compare to a, 708,4570,445sm (10") as for as recoil range and accuracy? I got a good deal on one ( didnt look too close was sold as a 308 nib, this one is nib). Should I go ahead and shoot it or try to trade it for another? Thanks in advance....lost

I am sorry but I just saw this. I shoot a .30/06 barrel for my Encore. Recoil can be stout in the heavier bullets so I shoot 150's in mine. For range you should be good out to 250 yards or so and that covers 90% of big game hunting

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer shooting my 15" 30-06 Encore with 165 Nosler partitions to shooting it with my 7mm-08 15" barrel with 160 gr. Accubonds. The 7mm-08 seems to recoil more abruptly than the '06. Both have more abrupt recoil than my 45-70 or .44 Mag barrels (can't comment on the .445). I would keep the 30-06 as it allows you to use the heaver bullets if desired and the lighter ones for practice, etc.

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend has an Encore in .30-06 while mine is in .308. I've not noticed any difference in feel between the two with the same bullet weight and it's my personal opinion that the extra powder is wasted in the shorter barrel. I have no chrono data to confirm this, only subjective feel in the hand. The .30-06 will indeed handle the heavier bullets that the factory .308 won't but I'm not sure that the slower velocities and arched trajectories are worth the added recoil.

Saying all that, if you want an Encore in .30-06, go ahead and get it. The accuracy will no doubt be better than you can hold.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote