New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rhino is a winner !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally broke down and bought a 6" 357. Everything they say is true. Less muzzle flip than my 357 S&W, perfectly timed, excellent trigger both SA & DA, Easy to use sights, grip set up like a 1911 with straight back recoil, comes with moon clips and works great w or w/o them, very accurate, all set up for light/laser.
Now if they would just bring out one in 10mm, I could sell my S&W 329 !

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Metalbeater.

I'm just can't get beyond the ugly. As far as I'm concerned it goes in with the Moisen and the Brit SMLE for ugly.
It would be intolerable that this firearm was both ugly and inaccurate, so I'm glad you got accurate.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure when the 1911 hit the streets, Colt SAA fans thought it was ugly too. When it comes to handguns, pretty is nice but how it works is all that counts. Lots of race guns are butt ugly too, but who brings home the prizes ?
As for the SMLE, it's the best bolt action battle rifle ever built, period. As for the Mosin, it always works and I pity any Kraut with a K98 in a bayonet fight with Ivan and his Mosin.
After you have put 500 rounds through a Rhino, then your superficial opinion will be corrected.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A rock tied on the end of a stick will bash some fellows brains out. A tomahawk or war hammer will do the same and there's still the pride of craftmanship and pride of ownership.
I think you'll find that the fellows who carried Colt single actions traded them as soon as Colt/S&W double actions came to the market. The double action guys traded their double actions for Colt 1911s. All three were beautiful in their own way and continue to be so today.
The Mauser rifles had/have grace and style, beauty above all other military weapons. The US Springfield comes close and the Enfield patterns 14 and 17 when cleaned up are good looking.
The SMLE and the Moisen were made deliberately ugly so no would want to take them home. There is no pride in ownership in either one. They are ugly tools that get the job done. No feelings when you throw your issued rifle away and pick another off the stack.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete, need I state the obvious ? Military rifles are to kill people not please your sense of beauty.

The Rhino is only ugly to those who prize form over function. It's engineering is not 19th century, it's DA is excellent, fu shots are much faster, the centerline recoil combined with the 1911 style grip makes high volume shooting far nicer.

I'm sure you don't own one, have never shot one, have no idea how good the fit and finish are. To be blunt you DNS about the theory behind the design or how well it works.

You keep quoting racist slaveholders who knocked up their female slaves at will.

I prefer Edmund Burke:"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe"

Old Tom was real good at making that separation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone who owns a Rhino, I guessI have to ask why is mine so much worse than yours?

Yes,it's grip geometry is better than most revolvers. The bore axis is lower. Follow up shots are quicker.

But it's no where near as accurate as my good Smiths. The trigger parts are plastic. The double action pull is excessively heavy albeit smooth. It does stack a bit. Single action is much lighter than DA, but quite mushy and the hammer has plastic components attached.

The gun is interesting, and I brought it to see how it compares to a S&W.

The design has some ergonomic advantages, but if I want the advantages it offers,I would use a semi auto. And it is ugly, it is best described as the Glock of revolvers.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metalbeater:
Pete, need I state the obvious ? Military rifles are to kill people not please your sense of beauty.

The Rhino is only ugly to those who prize form over function. It's engineering is not 19th century, it's DA is excellent, fu shots are much faster, the centerline recoil combined with the 1911 style grip makes high volume shooting far nicer.

I'm sure you don't own one, have never shot one, have no idea how good the fit and finish are. To be blunt you DNS about the theory behind the design or how well it works.

You keep quoting racist slaveholders who knocked up their female slaves at will.

I prefer Edmund Burke:"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe"

Old Tom was real good at making that separation.

From your verbage I'd guess you are female or a she-male, progressive liberal.
When you run out of ideas you attack with the 'You're disagreeing with me because you're racist, sexist, homophobic, what ever.
Maybe you can point out something racist I said in this discussion.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, just pointing out that old Tom was a brilliant writer and that's where it ended.

An "undelegated power" is beauty in the eyes of the beholder. I suppose you would oppose women voting, Brown vs the Board of Education outcome and support Jim Crow laws ? When you use Tom as your benchmark you are embracing his views and lifestyle.

As I said you DNS about Rhinos.

As for Mr Butler, I doubt he has ever shot his S&Ws vs the Rhino in a Ransom rest. It's just as accurate. Calling it "the Glock of revolvers" is a high compliment indeed as Glock is the most adopted handgun among the military and LEOs worldwide.(excluding the Commies).I love my S&Ws/Colt revolvers and 1911s but if I knew I was going into a fight, I'd be carrying a laser equipped Glock 20SF stoked with Corbon 150s or Buffalo Bore 180s and a couple of spare magazines.
"Don't bring a revolver when the other guy has a high cap Glock"

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
OK
You have a nice day.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I have shot the Smith in a Ransom rest.

I don't have an insert or the desire to make one for the Rhino.

Since I have one that was shot in the rest, and I am the same nut behind the trigger, I think I have an idea on the accuracy comparison.

The Rhino is not a bad gun, but it is different looking. It is not a high end Smith. In fairness to the Rhino, the accuracy was not bad; it certainly is better than that of the tauruses and rossi guns that we shot that day. If the goals of the Rhino were to make it more suitable for combat/self defense shooting, it should be compared to the semiautos.

With a S&W 686 and irons, I shot better with the smith than the rhino with irons over 50 shots in both guns, both accuracy slow fire and the IPSC El Presidente. Splits were faster with the Rhino. First shot was a wash from low ready, since I shoot more pistol than revolver, I expect the Rhino would have won from the leather, but I don't have a holster for it.

Remember that most who shoot revolvers shoot them because they like revolvers, not because its "the best tool for the job" and if the appearance is off, they will drive a lot of traditionalist revolver shooters away.

Also, my Rhino did not come with a moon clip set up, its a straight standard DA revolver. Apples to apples, here. I think I have close to 500 rounds through it total, mostly .38 special level loads but the comparison was done with full bore 125 JHP magnum loads.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think if you look through the papers underneath the foam, you will find 3 full moon clips set up for 357/38spec. Obviously all the 40s come with moon clips.

As for accuracy, the open sights are not as precise as the target type on an S&W but they are a lot faster (like the ones on my S&W 329). Unlike the S&W it has twin rails for a light or laser (bottom) and a red dot sight on the top. To say that people who are buying tricked out ARs by the boatload would be "put off" by the Rhino looks only reflects your opinion not the market. There are a lot of tricked out S&Ws, like my Custom Shop 460XVR that also carries two rails and a synthetic front sight, that certainly has an "off appearance" which doesn't seem to make it inaccurate or prone to failure.
It's not even too bad to shoot (off a bipod) although I'm sure it would leap less if it used the Rhino's fire from the bottom system and 1911 grip system.
My 6" model is hardly a "quick draw self defense" handgun. Rhino has managed to come up with a single frame size, with reasonable weight to handle two of the most popular handgun cartridges in numerous barrel lengths.
Chiappa firearms is cranking out new designs of both classic and modern firearms faster than the gun writers can write about them.

Here's some current info on the moonclips:
Information about Chiappa Rhino Revolvers
RHINO - moonclips use ?
Our revolver Rhino in caliber .357 will have an upgrade starting with the current production: the drum can now house the moonclip, and three moonclips will be supplied with the revolver at no extra charge.
The revolver can be used both with moonclips and without, since the grooving which houses the moonclip is machined inside the abutment surface of the cylinder.

Please note that:
- Rhino models in caliber.357Mag up to serial number RH05833 may NOT be used with moonclip
- Rhino models in caliber 9mm and .40 S&W (forthcoming production) can be used ONLY with moonclip

We are confident that shooters will be happy with this change, which brings an added benefit to our Rhino Revolver Revolution!

One can only hope that the 10mm will soon be forthcoming !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's why mine doesn't have moon clips. Mine has no place for a moon clip assembly.

1400 serial range. I did buy it new.

My point is people who buy revolvers will look at it askance. So far my sample is 20/20. (ie have a revolver and I show them the Rhino.)

Folks who don't mind the looks (the 3 gun AR crowd, and glock shooters) typically say it's neat, but why get that instead of a Glock?

Look, I brought the thing, I think its interesting, but given my collection, if I want a defensive revolver I grab the M60 snubbie or the 329 .44 mag snubnose (bears). Usually I carry a full size .45 1911 (Wilson) when I can carry. Your preferences may vary, but I think you are swimming up stream if you are predicting widescale success for the Rhino. It is a niche gun. Not a bad gun, just a niche gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you missed the moon clips as the gun works perfectly w or w/o them. My pocket gun is a 40+ year old Chief's Special that spent 30 years in a beside drawer. Has CT laser grips and at 7 yards is deadly. My 329 is also a bear gun and also has CT laser grips. My ancient (made in OR) Kimber 1911 fitted with Bomars and CT laser grips and a 22 LR conversion kit is a ball. Put a CT laser on the Rhinos lower rail. Stuffed it up with my own wheel weight, tumble lubed, unsized 158 Lee semi wadcutters and the suggested load of Trail Boss.
Set it on a bag @25 yards and shot 4 6 shot groups. The laser covered 4", the largest group was 2.5" …… looks like a good niche to me.

Insofar as full size carry guns go, not why I bought it. Right now it's the Kimber with a Wilson 10 round mag. Soon it will be a Glock 20 10mm that carries 5 more rounds and weighs a pound less ….. KISS at work ….. kinda like the Rhino.

Of course I never turn off the electronic brain on my Magnum Hemi AWD either.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Those is the know (not me by the way) will buy up a bunch of Rhinos since they're sure to become collectors items like the Ruger Hawkeye pistol (I think that's what it was called) and that gun from YEARS ago that pistol that fired small rocket propelled projectiles.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess you have not tried to buy one eh ?

Or shot one ?

Or even seen one ?

The gun you were thinking of was called the Gyrojet.

Financially, you would have been far better off buying gold.

Our little local gunshop which has about 20 handguns in stock has virtually every Rhino model on b/o and as soon as one appears .... poof, it's gone.

If you are interested in facts rather than being the decendant of the guy who laughed at the Model T and kept his mule, you might want to look at this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...appa-firearms-rhino/

Note that it is from 2010 and the bugs have been ironed out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My shop bought two to try over a year ago. I sold one and the other is still here. Just reduced the price to $25 over cost to move it. Don't think I'll be buying any more.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Assume the one that sold has not been returned ?
What is it and what do you want for it ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metalbeater:
Guess you have not tried to buy one eh ?

Or shot one ?

Or even seen one ?

The gun you were thinking of was called the Gyrojet.

Financially, you would have been far better off buying gold.

Our little local gunshop which has about 20 handguns in stock has virtually every Rhino model on b/o and as soon as one appears .... poof, it's gone.

If you are interested in facts rather than being the decendant of the guy who laughed at the Model T and kept his mule, you might want to look at this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...appa-firearms-rhino/

Note that it is from 2010 and the bugs have been ironed out.

Larry Root, back again!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy Guys!!
I agree if you ain't shot one don't throw stones.
I bought one a month ago in 6" White Rhino and think it's pretty neat. Set it up competition mode with fiber optic sights with 12 moon clips.
Single action,it's dang near a onehole wonder.
Recoil with 38 specials is nonexistent and 357 mag is similar to my 40 Glock.
Is it home defense? No,the 40 S&W Glock is in the sock drawer in the bedroom,but I'm very satisfied with my Rhino.

Posts: 203 | Location: southern Illinois | Registered: 23 July 2012Reply With Quote