Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Pistol Scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
On my Contender barrels I use a Leu 2.5-8, a Bushnell 2-6 and a Weaver 2.5 -8. I want to go to a higher power, but the FOV is already tiny.
I want to try a Burris 12x; Anyone use one?
Any suggestions? What do you use?

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the Burris 3-12. I've got about 7 or 8 that I've acquired over the years. 2nd choice is Bushnell 2-6.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
2.5x8 leupold on all of mine but two, 10x burris eer on those (223 & 6br)

Posts: 34 | Location: Goodyear AZ | Registered: 25 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris 3-12X BPlex on 90% of my Contenders, Encores, XPs for 12+ years. Use them to make shots out to 500 yards. Never regretted them.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks; I am getting a Burris 3-12.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I usually go with a Leupold 2.5 x 8 or a Burris.

Steve...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to the good folks here on AR, I got a Burris 3-12. I now have a Leu 2.5-8 and a Burris. The Burris is better.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dpcd: What is it about the Burris that you like over the Leupold, other than additional magnification?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not dpcd, but I have 12 of the Burris', all BPlexes. 12X plus the ability to take game out to 550 yds. with my 6.5/.284XP and NO rifle scope on it trumps the Leopold. On bigger calibers-.325WSM, .375/.284, .338 Mag. JDJ are all useful to 400 yds. with the BPLex.
The lack of the BPLex on the Leopold and 8X makes it a medium range scope if you're lucky enough to guess the trajectory of your round.
Did a deer Fri. at 420. Put my 400 BPLex about 3" below his back. He dropped at the shot-high shoulder just below the spine. I have a 2-8X Leopold on my .376 Steyr Encore. Never would have tried the shot.
Scope choice has a lot of personality issues. If possible try both and see what works. I think the Burris wins out.
Oh, are Burris' tough? I've had the 3-12X on my .375/.284XP for 12 years. Zero problems and it's worked from groundhogs to

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Larry, thanks for the reply. That's a hell of a hippo.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Leupold and in my opinion has clearer glass than the Burris. Also when the Burris is turned up to 12x you have very little margin for error in keeping the scope from blacking out. Again to me it is better suited for the bench. Also I never felt hindered by the 8x as I have take several antelope out past 400yds with them. Granted a quality range finder is needed as is knowing your load.
My long range rig is a 7.82 Patriot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 2X and 4X Leupold scopes on my revolvers and Encore pistol barrels.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote