New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 17 Encore Barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just throwing this idea out there to get a little advice. I am going to buy a bullberry pistol barrel (they are having a big sale) for my Encore. Does anyone have expereince with the 17 Remington Fireball? What is barrel life like? My backup idea is to get a barrel in 17 HMR. I am going to use a rifle scope almost exculsively from the bench at 100 yds.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Hey if you're only bench shooting at 100 yds, go with the 17 HMR. I have a TC factory one for my Contender, it's very accurate with the Hornady Vmax ammo.

I also have a buddy with a Bullberry barrel in 17 hmr rifle length. His is SCARY accurate to 200 yards if there's no wind. His Bullberry is a step above my factory barrel (yes, I'm jealous!) for sure. It's worth the extra coins...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I have a 12" 17HMR from Bullberry. Have shot racoons from my front porch under the deer feeder at 125 yards with it, squirrels in the piney woods of east Texas up to 50 yards with it.

My wife has a 17 HMR from Bullberry at 18" in a carbine. Silly-accurate.

Unless you just want to reload and want a centerfire, from the bench at 100 yards, I don't see any reason to go above the 17 HMR. But the 17 Fireball sure sounds like a lot of fun!

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you guys give sound advice. The HMR would be a fun round. I do like to reload and am more confident of my quality control than Hornady rimfire quality. I also have read some mixed reviews about Bullberry. It sounds like both of you have had positive expereinces. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
Trentalan34

I don't have a 17 fireball barrel by bullberry but I do shoot a 17/223 encore barrel made by bullberry. I also have 4 other barrels 3 pistol and 1 rifle by them all shoot great and they workmanship is great.I have had no problems with the company or there products and will buy another barrel from them.

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 17 FB contender carbine barrel ordered from MGM. Should be here soon.
I have one bolt gun in that chambering and like it a lot.
If you want to split the difference, try a 17 ackley hornet. I have a 14" MGM contender barrel in that chambering. Great cartridge, good power, minimal recoil, little powder use.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
The Fireball should have pretty long barrel life, not much powder being burnt.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote