New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 BLK to .30-30 AI?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Bergara barrel for my Encore in .300 BLK awhile back to try the cartridge out. Ive since moved on to a Ruger American Ranch and don't see myself using the barrel again on my Encore. I've always wanted to try a .30-30 AI after a buddy of mine used his 14" Contender to take a pronghorn at 200+ yards off of our pasture. I used his Contender to shoot prairie dogs the next day and hit a few past 150 yards with the 125 grain NBT. I plan on using bullets 110-150 grains for varmints and medium sized game.

I know the twist is a little fast, the extractor will need to be changed or modified. Who should I use to chamber and throat for spitzer style bullets? Is there any reason i shouldn't rechamber this barrel? Im pretty sure it'll clean the chamber up. Wink

posted Hide Post
Is this for a pistol or rifle?

I think you'd be better served by selling the Bergara barrel and buying a T/C barrel chambered in .30-30 with a 1-10" twist.

Shoot it as is with 150gr. Ballistic Tips, Nosler E-Tips, et al. If you feel you need a bit more velocity, then re-chamber it to the Ackley Improved version by Match Grade Machine in Hurricane, UT or SSK Industries in Steubenville, OH.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably be cheaper on you to sell the 300 BO barrel put the money that it would cost to rechamber your barrel with it and order from MGM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of got sidetracked and forgot about this post, guess my notifications are not working. Talked with Mike Bellm and he thought the fast twist was okay, and at $155 to rechamber isn't to hard on the pocket book either. I can't get a similar MGM barrel for close to what I'd have in this barrel after the rechamber. Plus finding a .30-30 barrel for an Encore is pretty tough. It's a 16.25" barrel so I could use it as either rifle or a pistol barrel.

posted Hide Post
Did Bellm inform you of his $50 administrative fee for accepting your barrel?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Did Bellm inform you of his $50 administrative fee for accepting your barrel?

George

Yes, his total was $100 for the rechamber rechamber and as he told me in the email $55 for putting up with customers and return shipping. He directed me to his new web site 357Maximum.net, and it clearly explains the $55 charge. The fee doesn't bother me as he was very honest about what it is for.

quote:
Delivery time?

This is a personality test to filter out those with demand syndrome. I only want to work with good, patient people who can appreciate what I do, drama free.

I am a 70 year old doing a one man operation. Precision and craftsmanship govern my work, not how many and how fast. If you want fast, I cordially ask you to not do business with me for your sake and mine. Work is done when it is done, in as reasonable amount of time as I can cost effectively do the work in batches. Your work may get in on a batch and done within days, OR...... it may be months. I do not entertain badgering and charge $55 handling/shipping/nuisance factor to return barrels if you cancel.

I'm really a nice guy who uses what looks like a nasty attitude to run off volatile, demanding personalities. It works, and I focus on YOUR work in peace!

Sending work to me implies you agree to the above.