New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 Herrett
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody have any good loads for 357 Herrett? I have 2) barrels and can't get either to shoot worth a darn. I have a 30 Herret that shoots 1" at 100yards but can't get any thing near 1" with the 357.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only load my Herrett shoots well is the [hard to find] rem 150 gr psp over 34.0 gr of AA1680 w/ a non magnum primer.. I use the rem #9 but according to my notes I had to go w/ less powder when using Mag pri. and could go to 35.0 gr when using the Fed 150 primer.. Someone is bound to Parrot the old "that bullet don't work" line... but the whitetails I have shot w/ it [one per] will Not be testifying!!! HTH
BTW I am betting that w/ careful development, the 180 psp would do as well or better... just that I don't fool w/ success!!! MV

Posts: 4 | Location: middle of the mitten | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
racepres,

Are you taking about 30 Herrett or 357 Herret?

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MV

Posts: 4 | Location: middle of the mitten | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,
I'll post the usual disclaimer about checking for loose scope/base screws, and using a proven scope. Also, try swapping forearms. They can make a BIG difference.
That said, have you tried to seat bullets out to the lands? I had one that had a REALLY long throat. I was able to get close with the Hornady 180gr SSP bullet, or the XTPs. Not close enough to touch, but a lot closer, anyway. I also used some 180-200gr cast bullets in mine,too. They would reach to the lands.
From my notes, I got satisfactory accuracy & velocity with IMR 4198, 2400, and AA 1680. The best was with 4198 and the 180gr XTP. Hope this helps......................Bug.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh no racepres, that bullet worked very well in my 10" .357 Herrett with a healthy dose of H4227 behind. Took several deer with that bullet.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

posted Hide Post
Hmm. I just checked, and for some reason, I never tried 4227... Odd since that is the most recommended choice... prolly didn't have some at that time!! MV

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Anyone out there have a good load for a 190 or 220 grain Cast GC boolit?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use the following in mine:

IMR 4227
CCI 250 (large rifle magnum primers)
Quality Cartridge brass
Hornady 158 gr. XTP HP bullets

This combo gives me about 1.5 inch 3 shot 100 yard groups.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My 357 herret was found of a healthy dose of AA 1680 under a 200 gr WFN cast bullet. Velocities from the 10" barrel were 1900+ fps and accuracy was around moa for 3 shots. I'd have to check my loading notes for the charge weight and what primer I used.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX: You might want to do a chamber cast as it might have been cut getty-wampus.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
This problem really throws me. Mine will shoot any bullet I stick in the case under MOA.

I normally shoot 200 gr. Hornady spire points but I've tried as small as 158 gr xtp's and up to 212 gr. gclfn's.

One time I shot a particularly nice group with the 200 gr. Hornady's and just for kicks after five well placed rounds under an inch I decided to mess the group up and through a shot of the 158gr. at the target. I had five rounds sub MOA and one shot about 3/4" to the left.

I just have to think there must be someting going on with your gun. What do you have for a scope on it?

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
12 Grains Unique under a 200gr Cast Performance FN gas check. Just over 1000 fps from my 10" TC.

(edited 9/22 - I looked at my notes. 10.5 gr Unique chrony'd 1520 fps from 10" TC)

Mine was an older 6 groove barrel. Not sure if they were necessarily better - but that one was a shooter.

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
200 gr. Hornady 23 gr 4227.
I have cronographed this load but I would have to dig pritty deep to find the results. I do remember pritty good velocity's and it's the load I settled on.
Mine has a 14" barrel and a 10" would probably need a whole new recipe.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
150gr. Rem. PSP, AA1680 @ 33 gr., Rem. 9 1/2 primer at 2.440". If that won't shoot well, something is very wrong with your set-up.

Posts: 31 | Location: Western West Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2011Reply With Quote