THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HAND RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Hand Rifles    Shot my JDJ for the first time today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my JDJ for the first time today
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
It is a .375 JDJ in a T/C/ Contender and I was shooting it with the suggested starting load for the 235-grain Speer. All I can say is that I don't want to try the maximum load. It is quite accurate, but the recoil does get your attention!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the best single shot pistol cartridge!
Hold on to it with both hands. One on the grip and one on the forearm. Makes a lot of difference. Mine has brake and it is still impressive. On both ends.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine! Shoots well and hits hard! Mine is braked.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave, it can be a beast. I shot a few mid-range loads with the 250-grain Sierra and called it a day. Not abusive with good grips, but just not terribly pleasant. I'll bet it would make a hell of a cast bullet handgun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you hold on with both hands it is not that bad.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Bill Falin wrote in Accurate's reloading manual's 375 JDJ page that it was the only (Contender) caliber to blow the doors off of their shooting shed.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mine is braked, and it is by far the loudest thing I have shot. Even with plugs and muffs it is fairly obnoxious. I really want to try it for elk next year.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 jdj contender carbine .That thing bent the scope mount once it kicked so hard. I shoot 338 win mag and 416 rem mag alot but this this carbine which weighs 4 3/4 pounds kicks like a mule .It blew open once. I like the 375 Winchester way better .It has just as much power but way less kick !

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
The 375 Winchester seems to be very accurate too.
At least all claimed it to be (lever gun or Contender)with RL-7 and I believe it to be 235(?) grain bullet.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote