Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encore Grip Hold Question?
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering when shooting the Encore pistol with large calibers? Do you use both hands on the grip or one hand on the forearm and one on the grip? With the weight I find the gun better supported with one hand under the forarm but don't know is this is the best way if a go to a higher recoil caliber?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob96:
I was wondering when shooting the Encore pistol with large calibers? Do you use both hands on the grip or one hand on the forearm and one on the grip? With the weight I find the gun better supported with one hand under the forarm but don't know is this is the best way if a go to a higher recoil caliber?

Either one handed bullseye style or both on the grip in a Chapmanesque stance for me. You'll figure out what works for you. Try them all. Off hand on the forearm feels weird to me but some people swear by it.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do it this way. Strong hand on pistol grip. Off hand on fore-arm. Aim it like a rifle rather than a pistol, body at a 45 degree angle to target. If you are using a scope, put the thumb of your support hand over the top of the barrel. This will just about eliminate any upward rotation of the gun when fired.
I can't explain it any better, but if you can follow it, give it a try. It realy works for me.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by "higher recoil" but if you are talking about large bore magnums like .460, .500, 50 Alaskan etc. better use two hands on the grip or you will risk losing hold of the gun. If the barrel is non-braked than I would also include 30-06, and up on that list as well.

I prefer a two hand hold on the grip for all my calibers, but that's just what I'm use to.

I also like my barrels to not exceed 12 inches unless the caliber is for long range work (200 + yards). I find the 12 inch barrel balances better in my hands.

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Depending on weight, cartridge and other factors some of the stances mentioned may cause you to eat the SP.
What do you intend to use it for?
Cartridge?
barrel length?
Braked or not?
I avoid off-hand as much as possible, but sometimes I shoot off-handed on game, but only when it is close and I have no other option.
typically the cloer to the ground I can get the better.
I have typically kept both hands on the grip.
i have also held one hand on the grip and one the forend and or on the top of the scope.
Much of this depends on what I am shooting in terms of cartridge and Overall weight of the SP in question.

Ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC adjustible sling for Contender & Encore pistols is 69" long, available from www.midwayusa.com part# 548658 price $11.79 and the swivels for the Encore pistol from midway part # 771536 price $37.99 this should aid in shooting the Encore pistol. For my 15 inch 06 encore barrel I had a muzzle brake installed by www.probed2000.com and it works.

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scr83jp:
quote:
TC adjustible sling for Contender & Encore pistols is 69" long, available from www.midwayusa.com part# 548658 price $11.79 and the swivels for the Encore pistol from midway part # 771536 price $37.99 this should aid in shooting the Encore pistol. For my 15 inch 06 encore barrel I had a muzzle brake installed by www.probed2000.com and it works.

And if you adjust the sling just right you can wrap it around yourself, un-holster the pistol and put pressure against the grip with both hands and have a rock steady support. It sure makes hits a lot easier. It's "almost" like shooting a rifle.

It also aids in recoil reduction.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting very heavy recoiling encores, use a two handed grip on the grip. Do not put a hand on the forarm. The 2 handed grip on the grip frame will work on the 600 nitro, 460 weatherby, 30-378 weatherby, and a 3 1/4" 50-140 sharps. All have very heavy recoil.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
From the bench my preference was to have both hands on the grip, a soft sandbag under the grip (I know the experts say that kills accuracy but it worked for me) the forearm on a rest, and a sandbag under each elbow. I found my elbows would get chewed up by the bench if I didn't have pads under them.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougm58:
Not sure what you mean by "higher recoil" but if you are talking about large bore magnums like .460, .500, 50 Alaskan etc. better use two hands on the grip or you will risk losing hold of the gun. If the barrel is non-braked than I would also include 30-06, and up on that list as well.

I prefer a two hand hold on the grip for all my calibers, but that's just what I'm use to.

I also like my barrels to not exceed 12 inches unless the caliber is for long range work (200 + yards). I find the 12 inch barrel balances better in my hands.

With my 10" Contender in 30-30Win I have almost lost hold of it with one hand on the grip and one on the forearm with sweaty hands. Walnut grips. With the various hot .22s I can shoot them one handed all day. With the BIG Encore stuff: Both hands on the grip is the only thing that works for me where I haven't had incidents where I almost lost hold of the gun. Haven't dropped one yet, and I don't intend to.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I have a 7x57 (14") Encore, a 30-30 (10") Contender, and a 17 HMR (12") Contender. Used to have a 44 Mag (12") Encore but sold it.

I shoot the 7x57 with both hands on the grip, but usually shoot if off sticks or a rest (want to get a bipod). I shoot the 30-30 with both hands on the grip, usually freehand. I shoot the 17 HMR usually braced against a tree with the forehand and the other hand on the grip. Its a dedicated squirrel gun that is extremely accurate, but the heavy bull barrel and the 17 caliber (tiny hole) makes it actually heavier than my 14" 7x57 Encore.

I've taken game with all of them, longest shot a Corsican Ram with the 30-30 at a 115 yards, freehand (not a shot I would have taken with game that I respected more like a deer, but Corsican rams on that property were vermin). I shoot lots of cat squirrels in East Texas with the 17 HMR, and it is now my preferred squirrel gun due to ease of carry.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found offhand or very close to it rather than any form of firm rest (shooting sticks and Vs in trees work fine for me, bipods don't) works better for me with the higher recoiling calibers. Allows upper body weight shift to soak up more of the recoil instead of depending on your arms, wrists, and elbows to do most all of it. Both hands on the grip for anything over 30-30 except occasionally out of curiosity to see how well I can hang onto the bigger ones when shooting at paper or tin cans. I've a .30-30 10" also and it really isn't that bad shot one handed bullseye style. Generally I use a modified Chapman stance, same as I do shooting anything else hand held.

Never have figured out a way that was at all comfortable to me to put my off hand on the forend.
I like to keep my gun arm straight as can be which you can't do and get a hand on the forend. Same reason I use Chapman instead of isosceles or Weaver. Would require my left arm to grow a fair number of inches to accomplish forearm usage.

posted Hide Post
I haven't spent alot of time with mine per say, but I sit on the ground and lean up against a post or tree. Two hands on the grip placed between my knees for a steady sight picture.

With a 12" 44mag and Federal premium 240gr. I was hitting bowling pins @ 90yards with ease. I would have tried farther but ran out of ammo. Frowner

Posts: 21 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: 20 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my 460 S&W one handed ONCE. I use both hands know.

Posts: 65 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: 05 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougm58:

I have a 15" tc encore 30-06 barrel but after testing it I checked around and sent in to www.probed2000.com for a muzzle brake it makes a difference but just a wee bit noisey.I loaded some 130gr & 150gr bullets .A friend was shooting it with the light loads but I ran out of those and handed him one of my full power 165gr nosler bt hunting loads he noticed the change but was still able to maintain control and hit the target.