Find
Notify
Tools

Gonic Arms barrels, what type of steel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a 50 cal stainless barrel made by Gonic Arms. Does anyone know what type of steel was used in their stainless barrels?

I believe that many years back, most muzzle loader barrels were made with (1137?) something like that, that was only good for black powder pressures. I have read that some newer BP guns are being made with 4140 steel in their barrels. So the new barrels could be used for center fire/smokeless.

I did a google search, but it looks like Gonic went under?
So any ideas on their stainless barrels?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure exactly what you are seeking, but 4140C is carbon steel, not stainless.

The type of steel is only one consideration of what a barrel is suitable for, wall thickness naturally matters.

Barrel alone is only part of the matter, the breechplug and frame must also be tested to design parameters. No mainstream 'newer' gun has been designed or tested for smokeless except for the Savage 10ML-II . . . least of all the under-sized bored Gonic conical shooters.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I know that 4140 is not stainless. I mentioned it to point out that not all newer muzzle loader barrels would have to be kept to black powder pressure levels.
The idea is to chop the breach end off, thread and put onto a different action. So I'm looking for an inexpensive barrel to play with.
I have a new .510" blank made from 4140, but would like to find a .500" bore barrel.
I haven't kept up with who is doing what, so I stopped in here to see if anyone might know any details.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
I know that 4140 is not stainless. I mentioned it to point out that not all newer muzzle loader barrels would have to be kept to black powder pressure levels.

You'd have to define what a "black powder pressure level is" . . . a very tough task, as there is no such thing.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RandyWakeman:
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:

You'd have to define what a "black powder pressure level is" . . . a very tough task, as there is no such thing.

As a general concept Black Powder Cartridges, loaded with black powder, produce lower pressures when compared to a similar more modern round loaded with smokeless. Look in most any reloading book at rounds like the 45 Colt or 45-70. The Speer #11 book, page 439 states "The 45 Colt began life as a low-pressure black powder cartridge and smokeless powder loads are not safe in early Colt and Smith & Wesson revolvers. Maximum industry working pressure of the 45 Colt is 15,900." They didn't list which unit. A few pages past that they list loads for Ruger or Contender only that go up to 25,000 CUP.
Other similar examples are shown with Winchester lever action rifles. Some were made with weaker metal when the rounds were loaded with Black Powder. Later, the same model was made with stronger steel and can be shot with higher pressure loads. Each gun and each situation is different, but as a general concept Black powder loads produce less pressure than modern smokeless loads.

Most any knowlegable reloader or gun enthusiast should already know and understand the above. I'm sure that you do.
I didn't come here to argue over definitions, so I'll close now and wish you all a Happy and prosperous new year.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
120 grains of Pyrodex RS can produce well over 30,000 PSI peak pressure in a .50 caliber muzzleloading barrel as tested by Lyman Ballistic Labs.

It is far more than most folks believe could be the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your looking for a barrel ? get one from Green mountain .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No mainstream 'newer' gun has been designed or tested for smokeless except for the Savage 10ML-II . . .

Randy, ever read the Browning report on the Whites? I guess maybe they aren't "mainstream", but they were darned sure tested for smokeless...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What and where is the "Browning report"???

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote