New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hell of a year thus far
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Our muzzleloader season started 10 days ago. I hunted the first 4 days on a club I belong to. I whacked 3 whitetails (a 9 and two 8's). Two didn't take a step. One ran about 20'yards. Devastating is the word that comes to mind given the damage it did.

I almost had a 4th. For some reason the gun did not fire. I got a click. No dent in the primer. Strange I thought . I took it to the range, placed the same pistol case on and pulled the trigger. Boom! I think I must have somehow let the bolt lift up a little.

I went to my place Friday afternoon. I whacked a really large (for the area) 8. He dropped in his tracks.

I really love that Johnson's Ultimate muzzleloader. It is accurate and packs a punch. I will take a shot at much longer range with it than I will with another muzzleloader. I won't try the extreme distances that
they claim. I would not hesitate at 250.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an excellent season so far, Larry. I still have yet to shoot that White Super 91 I bought from Scott (doubless) on here years ago.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

You kill em anyway you can...hogs in the backyard to glamor species all the world.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Larry, who was that good friend who gave you such a smoking deal in that Johnston? By the way, I just shot that great 352 Elk with my Johnston at 377 yds. They damn well work!

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Hammered another one today.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Sounds like an excellent season so far, Larry. I still have yet to shoot that White Super 91 I bought from Scott (doubless) on here years ago.

Hi Brandon,
Which White did you purchase from Scott? I sold two to him in 2014. I wish he was still around to share stories with on here.

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I use parker E max 45 cal 270 gr bullets in mine, with no sabot. The devastation is unbelievable. I run my bullets thru a die to set the grooves to be the same size as my barrel put a duplex load of smokeless powder in and a veggie patch on top. Boom, every time wet, cold or dry and hot.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:

Hi Brandon,
Which White did you purchase from Scott? I sold two to him in 2014. I wish he was still around to share stories with on here.

Justin

Hi Justin,
504 Super 91 with a black thumb hole synthetic stock.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was the guy that got Scot started with shooting the Whites here in Idaho, and I am still loving every one of them I have for hunting. He wasn't a bad fisherman either!

Sure miss that guy, and all the fun times we had with him and our families.

Congrats Larry, sounds like you have really been stacking them up. I got an antelope, elk, 2 WT bucks and 4 WT does before I finally quit being mad at them. The freezer can't hold anymore!!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote