New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that muzzle loader loaded?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How can I tell if a muzzle loader is loaded?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
use your ramrod. Run it along the outside of the barrel to where the approximate end of it would be from the inside.
Mark it at the muzzle with a pencil, tape, your thumb or something else.

Put it in the barrel and see where it sits.

It your mark is past the muzzle by an inch or more it's a good bet it's loaded.

Sometimes looking down the barrel with a light will show the bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am not going to use mine for awhile (like all winter, spring, and summer) and leave it loaded, I put a tag on the trigger guard indicating it's loaded and what the load is.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundtender:
If I am not going to use mine for awhile (like all winter, spring, and summer) and leave it loaded, I put a tag on the trigger guard indicating it's loaded and what the load is.

Black powder is hygroscopic. why would you leave a rust causing compound in there long term ?

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that pyrodex and 777 suck in moisture. Didn't know that real black powder did, never had a rust prob for the many years I used it (Goex) though. I've been using Blackhorn 209 since it was introduced and no prob with that. Always kept hammer resting on a piece of inner tube to keep moisture out that way. Figured the projectile would seal out moisture from that end. I guess where I live very near the ocean I'd orherwise get corrosion. Never had trouble with the bp rusting through the can either. Thank you for your input Grizz.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone leave a gun loaded?

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
. Huh? What good is an unloaded gun? Suggested reading: "Hell, I Was There" by Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I guess? I didn't know he used a Muzzle Loader.

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Black powder is hygroscopic. why would you leave a rust causing compound in there long term ?

Grizz

This is not true. BP is not hygroscopic. Having participated in controlled tests, I can say that without the slightest hesitation.

In this state a muzzleloader is LEGALLY unloaded when there is no cap on the nipple or flashpowder in the pan, regardless of what is in the barrel.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod Bounce, a cleaning rod will bounce when dropped into an EMPTY barrel.

A loaded barrel will dampen the rod impact no bounce

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ram rod is marked for a loaded barrel.

Posts: 19299 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh man, talk about STUPID!!

Just a few years ago at a BP match in Pa. I think it was. A M/L failed to fire and with his teenaged son standing right beside him The guy looked down the barrel and it blew his head mostly off.

Never look down the muzzle end of a gun unless the action is open. M/L's that's kinda hard to do. So don't do it at all!

About 20 years ago one of my buddies friend went to an estate auction. There was M/L double barreled shotgun no one bid on as it was fairly ragged looking with one hammer broken off.

The friend asked the owners son after the show "how much would you take for that gun?" "oh, no one wanted it, guess maybe a couple bucks". He snapped it up.

We didn't have a ramrod handy in the tin shop. Used a welding rod to gauge the depth. Sure enough the tube with the broken hammer was loaded. Hard packed for years.

One of the guys took it home, welded a long rod to a drill bit and drilled the charge out. Then the gunsmith worked it over til it came back a fine looking gun. It's never been loaded or fired since.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What dumb conversation..I won't even leave my ML loaded over night in Idaho where it,s snow and damp..If you do your asking for a misfire,

Ive seen it happen way too many times..We all shoot them empty at camp in the evening or use a screw gizzie to unload them..And we pop primer a couple of times before loading and taking off the next morning in the snow and cold..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
They make Co2 "unloaders" press down over nipple and it "fires" the load out into the safe direction you pointed it... Great for clearing that patch and ball you did not put powder behind by the way...
If you can't blow air through the nipple, out the muzzle, with a rubber tipped air nozzle, there is some obstruction in the barrel, likely a load.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, like Jim Bridger unloaded his at night

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that the Blackhorn209 is not hygroscopic. I have left is for days in the humid Florida swamps with no issue as well as leaving it in the rifle loaded for an entire year between firings. No misfires whatsoever. With Blackhorn209, you only need to thoroughly clean the rifle once a year, or every 10 firings, whichever comes first.

It acts nothing like real black powder.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, Blackthorn or whatever is definitely not blackpowder. The real thing is hard to beat - why try? Blackpowder is something that is easily understood and used. It doesn't take much effort at all. Unfortunately, most shooters are instantly discouraged from using it by generally misinformed internet forums.

Anyway this is one description of what happens to BP in humid conditions. Nothing.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/...B_files/Page1175.htm

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent, I did not get that anyone was disparaging black powder. Certainly not me. What happens to your rifle if you shoot it a few times and don't clean it until next fall? Nothing if you use Blackhorn209. That is all I was pointing out. And if you leave the next shot in there for 6 months, it still goes bang just fine.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I don't live in Idaho and I don't leave my gun outside at night. Mine is in a dry-heat gun room but I've left mine loaded for years . Last hunting season, guilt took over after 2 years in storage, so to soothe my soul, I figured I'd touch off a load before the season. BOOM!

I've restored old OLD guns and found some to be still charged. I was young and very dumb back in those days (70's) and while working on a friend'g grandfather's caplock, I couldn't free the nipple up with penetrating fluid. I decided to heat it with a torch. There wasn't a damned thing wrong with that 1860 black powder. I did have to crawl out of the shop because I couldn't see a thing with all that smoke. I learned that you either bounce the ramrod or you measure the barrel length from muzzle to touch hole to insure a gun is empty.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Seeing the name of this thread made me laugh as I purchased another muzzleloader on Thursday...

Bought a T/C Encore ProHunter 209x50 used for a good price...I could tell that the barrel was still dirty from the last time it was ever shot but the store didn't want me to pull the breech plug to inspect closer into it. I just used that as a bargaining tool and said maybe it is all rusty and the barrel may be worthless.

Pulled the breech plug and could not see through the barrel. Interesting. I looked past the plug threads from the action side and saw what looked like a ton of white grease. Maybe the previous owner went wild with the breech plug grease before he installed the plug?

I ran the ramrod completely through to try and knock whatever was in there loose and found 2 plain white paper towels, an o-ring from something and a 7.62x39 loaded cartridge inserted into the barrel backwards and packed into the paper towels.

Ran 20 patches of Windex/Bore cleaner through the barrel and deep cleaned the breech plug and the gun looks like new again. First time I had ever seen any of that stuff in a barrel.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would report that to the cops and the store. Someone was deliberately trying to at least hurt someone.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh yea, like Jim Bridger unloaded his at night

Lol! You do have a point. I’ll wager the old timers wasted very little.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Is Groundtender really that uneducated as to leave a gun loaded all that time? I don't care if it has no prime. That's a good way to abuse a gun or get someone hurt. Are you a TROLL? Packy

Why?

I've left mine loaded for several months during hunting season obviously without any priming. Now mind you it was a traditional side lock using a patched round ball which seals the bore from moisture very well just run a lightly oiled patch above the load to protect the bore from rust. Never had a problem getting it fire even with almost continuous rain/snow during hunting season here in the PNW. I have no idea how it would work with a modern muzzleloader with plastic sabots and those modern powders, many of which are sugar based and have the potential to rust your bore just sitting in there unlike blackpowder.

People leave cartridge rifles loaded all the time for extended periods and and don't think it's unsafe. Why would a muzzleloader be any different? Besides I seriously doubt way back when folks unloaded each day. In fact it's not uncommon to find very old rifles that still have a load in them and as mentioned above they often will still light.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only guns I keep loaded most of the time are two self defense pistols I keep handy.

For my ML, I always remove the breech plug and remove everything prior to putting it in the truck for the drive home.

Even old Rick, of Pawn Stars knows to run a rod down the barrel of any ML brought into his store in order to see if it is loaded.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
. Huh? What good is an unloaded gun? Suggested reading: "Hell, I Was There" by Elmer Keith

I don’t care Elmer said, leaving a rifle loaded for months at home is very dangerous.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make a mark on the ramrod. With a load in the rifle I run the ramrod down to the ball and lay my pocket knife on the face of the muzzle with the edge against the ramrod. I turn the ramrod against the knife edge to make a slight line around the rod. It's a visual cue as well as one I can feel in low light that tells me there's a charge in the gun.

I leave my 62 caliber caplock loaded for the entirety of moose season. I live outside the city limits but in a weapons restricted area. Shotguns or muzzleloaders only. Mine is loaded with a round ball and a very healthy charge of 2F black powder.

Now I have to tell on myself. I forgot about it for a couple years. My wife's back surgery and a couple other significant life events caused me to completely forget about the 62 sitting in the corner loaded but no cap on the nipple. We had no small children around and the two college kids who were staying with us were both very gun savvy and wouldn't touch anything without permission.

Not remembering if the gun was loaded or not, I ran the ramrod down and it indicated it was. My next trip to the range I took it and a few caps, expecting it either wouldn't fire or there would be hang fire. It fired instantly on the first cap. I have a polished aluminum plug for checking muzzleloader barrels. It's finished to a mirror like surface. Shining a light on it after dropping it down the barrel, I couldn't see any indication of rust or corrosion from keeping it loaded with black powder all that time.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark the rod! Period, no doubt. It has been done like this (thankfully not by me), load the ML at a range, get distracted, re reload, now a double charge. Your barrel may or may not survive such a mistake.

If your rod is marked, there is never a doubt as to whether it is loaded, double loaded or empty.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well maybe Jim Bridger didn't but the story goes that Wild Bill would empty his revolvers every morning out of the hotel window with his admonishment that a man with a damp charge is a dead man. I'll bet he disturbed a lot of folks early in the morning; but hey, who's gonna complain?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well maybe Jim Bridger didn't but the story goes that Wild Bill would empty his revolvers every morning out of the hotel window with his admonishment that a man with a damp charge is a dead man. I'll bet he disturbed a lot of folks early in the morning; but hey, who's gonna complain?

Jack McCall perhaps?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
quote:

I don’t care Elmer said, leaving a rifle loaded for months at home is very dangerous.

Now where's that damn "like" button?

Leaving a muzzleloaded loaded for an extended time brings words to mind that I cannot say here. But hey, the world is round and it takes all kinds.

Remember, half the people you meet are below average!
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
So keep your powder dry was Bull shit according to some...Since this is the internet, I will keep unloading my muzzle loader at night and a light film of oil in the bore to be swabbed dry each morning before I head for the elk medows in a foot of snow...All can do as they please..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of whitewater bob
posted Hide Post
I fully agree with you, Ray. The above postings in this old thread amaze me. Myself and friends have hunted with ML's yearly for 43 years. Some with patched RB, others with conicals, others, often me, with a flintlock. In sleety or rainy weather, it is very common to get misfires (only the cap) at the end of two days without firing and cleaning. The best muzzleloader hunters in history (Samuel Baker, et al) recommended firing and cleaning every night. I have bore scoped several old rifles, badly corroded from improper cleaning or leaving the breech charged. Even a caplock doesn't seal perfectly...there is a nipple hole poorly sealed by the hammer unless a cap is on it. Keep the rifle clean. anything else speaks of inexperience......WWB

Posts: 16 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 February 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to discharge the ML in a safe direction and take it home and clean it. I have friends that just take the cap off of the nipple and then put their gun away. They will usually not fire the gun until after hunting season is over or if they have filled their tag.
Whatever your preference is go with it. I would recommend having some system of telling you it's loaded like the marked ramrod or a flagging of some sort so you don't forget.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be very careful what you do!

When I as a police officer a man let his son play with an original muzzle loader (not a repo). He let him use the percussion caps as cap gun caps. Well the muzzle loader was indeed loaded and even though the powder probably was all caked up the rifle finally went off after a few caps.

The son shot his sister and killed her.
You've been warned!

Hip

Posts: 1786 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...3821043/m/6211026862

This^^^^^

The more I have thought about it the more I think the load was contaminated by moisture.

Posts: 19299 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote