New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage smokeless
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings. Anyone care to share some load data on the savage smokeless in 50 cal. I just picked one up. I am laid up do to back problems and will be getting surgery in about 13 hours. I have read the first 100 pages over on Doug's and been on Randy's site as well. I have barely been out of bed in 16 days so I have had some time to read. I have some Remington 250 grain Barnes, Barnes tmz 250, nosler 300 ballistic tip, Parker ballistic extreme 300 grain. Has anyone used the lt32 powder with good results? I am leaning towards imr 4198 also have 4227 on hand. Hoping for a gift card to get a pound of rl7. Can't wait to shoot this. How bad is recoil worse than full house 375hh? Thanks for any input. I hope I have some good reading. Thank you and Merry Christmas. Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh man, 'nother back victim.
Been there twice so far, crippled with mine since 3/85 til Nov '05 when I twisted wrong and finally there was damage that could be seen and fixed. This last time was to try and fix a drop foot somehow caused during belly surgery Nov '12, didn't help any.

Am wishing you the very best with it. Take it easy and don't rush things. Use a walker and do what you can til you feel it's time to quit no matter what you're being told. don't push it, rest up and go again later rather than keep on when you've had enough. Figure on 3 months at the minimum and likely most of a year before you're able again.

Oxy's, dilaudid, & methadone for pains usually help depending on how long and how many you've taken before. Robaxin's for spasms have been the best I've found. Eat 'em every couple hours.

Where you located? Your outcome has a whole lot to do with how good your doctor is I'll tell you that much.

Reply back when you get where you can. Again, best of luck with it to you. Oh yeah, welcome to the A/R board too.

George PM: IF you'd like

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In ohio dr is supposed to be great. Herniated disk. Been dealing with this since 2005. Hoping recovery will not take to long but in no hurry so long as I am better by September 2016. Going to Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoil is 12 ga ish. Not bad at all.
I have found accurate 5544 is one of the easiest powder to mess with, ignites easily. Ws using Vhit 120, much faster but also much more PIA, plus you cannot get it anywhere. I use barnes 295 tez, but I would highly recommend the parker bullets over any other. I have no choice as the farm I hunt requires no lead in bullets. When we were allowed to use them we had dead right there deer most all of the time.
These rifles are finicky. It is IMPORTANT to get a real similar amount of pressure on each load shoved in barrel. For a muzzle loader it is a step up from the thompson center or white, IMHO. But I hate muzzleloaders, only use them as the same farm will not allow rifles, so my muzzled season here is 8 weeks long. I am planning on selling the one brand new savage I have and rebuilding my other with a different barrel and breech plug from Luke on Doug's board and then putting a proper stock on it.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from 4227 if you can avoid it. H4198 is a good replacement for N120. When I shot a 50 cal I had my best luck with IMR SR4759 and N110 with light bullets and H4198 and N120 with bullets over 300gn.