ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    First kill with my Johnston's Ultimate Muzzleloader

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First kill with my Johnston's Ultimate Muzzleloader
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought one of the above references rifles from a friend of mine last year. I had less than good luck with it last year. After 4 shots at the range, the scope mounts broke . Then I had a giant whitetail that got away because it was so damn hot that my sweat made pistol case primer go bad. When I did shoot it, I loved it. While it it supposed to shoot long range , I limited myself to 250 yards. The gun is impressive.

I missed the first day and a half of muzzleloader due to pressing business I had to take care of. I went out Sunday afternoon to a place where I had found a number of bucks including a couple of giants for these parts. I sat for about 5 hours before the first deer showed. I had several deer around, all non-shooters. They all started acting nervous looking east. They took off. I was hopeful big boy was around.

Well, big boy was around but not what I was. A big OLD boar hog. It was just before dark . I figured I had to shoot him. Once they have found the food plot , they are never leaving until all the food is gone.

It was damn near dark and he was trotting along. I took a shot. Of course, I could see nothing with the smoke but I thought I heard him thrashing. I got down out of my tree. I had a hard time finding blood. I was about to give up. Then I saw a single drop of blood. About 10 yards further , the boar was laying there dead. Shot perfectly through the shoulder .

He was old old old. Big sharp cutters. Teeth worn down to the gums. He was over 200 I am sure. About 5 inches out the gum. He was in serious decline.

I wIll post pictures later.

I was impressed with the gun and the bullet. It is difficult even with a heavy caliber rifle to get a blood due to the shield . It did make a big entrance hole.

Posts: 11910 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Larry!
Congrats on a fine boar!
I had a similar experience with My Rem Ultimate and the ignition/cases which you described in an earlier thread. I dropped a couple on the ground but only found one, then it rained and my son-in-law found the wet one. I decided to experiment so I let it dry completely for several days and attempted to fire a charge. It didn't work.
I guess the key is to keep them dry at all cost and because of your experience I was carrying mine in a zip lock bag inside a hip possibles pack,
Thanks for sharing your insight which helped me on my trophy mule deer hunt.
I scouted 3 days right before the hunt and hunted 7 full days of the 9 day season and killed a great 30' buck with 14 total scoreable points!
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,congrats Zeke.

I am sitting in a tree now with scrapes and trails all around me. Hopefully big boy shows.

Posts: 11910 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5" showing? I think I'd mount that one, or at least have the skull bleached.

A good rule of thumb is to discard primers at the end of the season, and get a new box at the beginning of the next season. They don't "age" well at all.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon:

I have killed so many of them that I am probably going to only have the skull bleached. I whacked 3 true Giants in the summer that are being mounted. While this one has big teeth, the others were far bigger in body size.

The cutters were longer than my middle finger.

I have probably killed at least 50 this year. We feed a lot of homeless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Good luck with "big boy" and by all means have fun and be safe!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I added 3 more this morning . Two bucks and a hog. Pretty wild. The high barometric pressure is causing issues. I hope it drops.