Notify
Tools

Federal B.O.R.Lock bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
has anyone tried these?

i recently moved to colorado where sabots are a no-go. the guy at cabelas told me these are not considered sabots and are legal. i am not shooting powerbelts, i hate those things. these might be worth a shot if the work as advertised. anyone have any info on them? i have a t/c omega.

i recently ordered (dont have it yet) a conversion kit from precision rifle to shoot large rifle primers in my t/c breech... https://www.prbullet.com/lrvf.htm

i'm hoping it helps create a little less fouling.

i won't be hunting CO this year with the t/c so its not vital, but i am going to hop the border into NE and try to fill a couple deer tags in december with it.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I suppose the stock answer is that you will have to see how they shoot in your rifle and group at the ranges that you shoot at, the same old story about each rifle being unique.

If fouling is an issue, what sort of powder are you using? I generally use pyrodex and run a mop down the bore every other shot if shooting at paper. For hunting I do not bother as I don't shoot that much but can also go an easy dozen shots without swabbing if need be. I cast my own bullets, which is not that difficult to do and is about the only way for me to shoot affordably for an afternoon.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Mark,
i shoot 120gr of 777 at the moment with my barnes and t/c sabots. with the borlocks, idk yet. i'm going to hit the range next monday morning and give them a whirl.

the fouling isnt "excessive", but if the conversion kit will lighten it a bit, so much for the better. when at the range, i wet/dry patch between every shot when shooting for groups, so its not much of an issue.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
shot the bor-locks with 120gr of 777. grouped in the size of a basketball at 100y. i did not have the time to play around with different powder charges, so i shot a few of the barnes sabots and they are still shooting perfect. so i'll be using barnes this year.

i patch with bore cleaner and a couple dry patches between each shot.

i also have the "precision rifle" LR Vari Flame adapter breech plug to use large rifle primers instead of the #209 shotshell primers. the 'gunk' of 777 just ahead of the breech plug was noticeably less with the LR primers.
https://www.prbullet.com/

i shoot a t/c omega and a leupy vx2 3-9x40

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen the Federals are not a great bullet. Guys on several of the inline muzzleloader forums have tried them out with mixed results. Everything from tumbling to breaking apart.

For Colorado, look at Thor bullets. Basically a bore size Barnes X. Not cheap, but proven.

If you like a lead conical, No Excuses makes a good bullet as does Parker.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info farbedo. i do not think the borlocks will be getting any more range time